AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to store their HD video? After noticing the prices drives on ebay are selling for, I'm leaning towards this route as opposed to DVHS. Any tips/advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not DLT, but I've used DDS-3 to store AVI files. A 12Gb tape can hold about 15 full films, but to extract a film can take 15mins.

The main limitation is that there is no way in WinXP of mapping the drive to a drive letter or UNC (therefore streaming the file to e.g. zoomplayer).

It would be a fantastic way of playing films that the wife could understand... put the tape in... press play...

Doers anybody know of any device drivers that allow this? Some research led me to believe this was possible in DOS a long time ago.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I spend a ton of time trying to get this to work and never got satisfactory results. There was some software that would give you drive letter access in DOS and some defunct Veritas product for win9x, but I soon realized that without a proper buffering setup for streaming the drive would have to constantly start and pause which would probably end up destroying it.

I was able to setup a system where I could restore a DVD from tape and play it back while it was restoring after you gave it about 5 minutes to restore the VIDEO_TS ifo files, etc. This of course would depend on the menu data being in the files that where restored first, which always wasn't the case.

It is doable, just not practical. DVD-R blanks are now $1 so I would recommend going that route.

"I have detailed files..."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.