AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting a Shuttle for my bedroom plasma - I don't need anything fancy and I was wondering if I could get away without a graphics card. I WILL need to use powerstrip for a custom resolution - 848X480, however. Anyone here using onboard VGA with a Shuttle? If so, which Shuttle, and how are the results? It will be exclusively for DVD.

·
Registered
114 Posts
hi,

to be honest using shuttle on-board video on plasma tv will be a sin. it has a fairly clean s-video output but performance for DVD is questionable (and ability to use powerstrip is questionable as well) not to mention it shares system ram. If DVD is your only concern you may consider a PCI hardware mpg decoder card, or just get a cheap ATI 7500 based video card (probably $50-70 by now)...or if DVD really is the only thing just get a nice DVD player and save the $$$.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be using either VGA or DVI inputs to the plasma. I'll probably go with the cheapest ATI card that has DVI. Thanks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I use an nforce2 board to drive my AE100 at 856x480. It works great. There is an XPC based on the nforce2 with onboard video. I believe it's the SN41G if I remember correctly. Of course, an ATI solution is always recommended for optimal image quality.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a Shuttle SN41G2 which has an nForce2 chipset. It has the NVIDIA onboard video. But there are some issues you should be aware of. If you want an HDTV card, the Fusion II works great. But the best I could tell, the MyHD card won't fit in the in the tiny case (it has a single PCI slot right next to the edge of the case and a single AGP slot). So I got a Fusion II. But with the Fusion II you really need a Radeon for HDTV. So I got a Radeon 9500 Pro. Both cards BARELY fit into the case. But it works great. I hope this helps.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.