AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using my HTPC for DVD viewing and was very pleased until I tried it in the 360.

Picture was slightly better and the sound was noticably better. Now the HTPC doesn't get used as much.

It will be a while before I upgrade my Hitachi S series RPTV and was wondering if I may see an improvement if I were to buy the 360 HD-DVD player now anyway.

·
Registered
808 Posts
i'm using 1080i on my Panasonic ae900u projector. Looks awesome.

now, do you have an elite? because SD DVD will only go to 480p over component cables.

i think 1080i is a fine stopgap until i make the jump to 1080p in a few years.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I don't notice any improvement on standard-def DVDs through the HD-DVD add-on. I believe the 360 will process them exactly the same... so if you're happy with the way the 360 performs, you'll be happy with the add-on. The one really nice thing about the add-on is the ability to keep a game disc in the main tray while you swap movies... IMO, quite a boon in and of itself.

I was using my 360 HD-DVD add-on for a while for DVD playback, but I switched back to my HTPC because I wanted greater control over my video and audio processing. I like using separate brightness/contrast/saturation controls from PowerDVD, as well as equalization and reverb through my Audigy sound card. I also prefer the analog output to the SPDIF. I confess I miss using the Logitech remote to navigate my movies, though I suppose I could get a Remote Wonder at some point.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I use the HD DVD addon on my Hitachi 57" 1080i set and absolutely love it. Picture quality is beyond cable broadcast Hi-def and is well worth the price.

Like mentioned above, the Core and Premium 360s can only output DVD's at 480p unless you use a VGA connection. The Elite can upconvert DVD's since it's over HDMI, but the addon is not needed for upconverting.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Me very much likey the PQ I get on my Mitsubishi WS 55513 through the HD-DVD drive.

·
Registered
600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertil /forum/post/0

I would buy the HD DVD add on if MS could just add 1080i out over RGB (VGA). HD DVD over the transcoder just seems wrong!

I believe it does.

·
Registered
808 Posts
i don't think 1080i is a viable VGA resolution, so don't expect it anytime soon. vga is non-interlaced.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not that it matters much, but 1080i-capable VGA inputs were commonplace on higher-end RP CRT's just a few years ago. My guess is MS doesn't care.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen4971 /forum/post/0

my 20" LCD can accept 1920x1080 @ 30fps from my PC thru VGA. havent treid it with the 360 becasue i dotn have a VGA cable

Well, 30 fps progressive isn't the same thing as 60 fps interlaced.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bottom line is a 360 HD-DVD player connected via component to my 3yr old Hitachi S700 won't provide a visual benefit over a standard DVD player?

$169 via used or e-bay is not much to gamble with. I may try it soon.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
OK things to clarify here with 1080i again on the 360:

Component 1080i:

- 360 games

- HD-DVD

- SD-DVD will be capped at 480p on component. No 1080i SD-DVD output on component

HDMI 1080i:

- 360 games

- HD-DVD

- SD-DVD upscaled to 1080i

VGA (no 1080i support on the 360 VGA connection)

·
Registered
225 Posts
IronMike the 360 add-on won't play SD-DVDs at 1080i however HD-DVDs will play at that reso.

·
Registered
698 Posts
have a 37" 16x9 CRT from SONY and it is 1080i it looks great but King Kong I have the regular DVD and upscaled it looks the same

but Pitch Black HD-DVD looks way better than the regular DVD does and even with a small 37" tv I still can see the difference in HD and SD stuff

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.