AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Anyone using the analog inputs from the processor to the analog outputs on their dvd player for surround processing?

Are your results as good as or better than letting the processor decode the sound?

My processor is not HDMI audio capable....but it has 5.1 analog to connect to my Blu Ray player.

Theoretically or realistically, which will yeild the best sound, HDMI or the 5.1 analog connection?

Should I look to get a processor with HDMI audio or is the 5.1 analog as good?

The new Denon player for $2k has an 8 channel analog output and my processor has an 8 channel analog input. The new Denon player also has a bass management feature. Again, I'd rather not have to buy another processor just to be able to play back the new hi-def audio codecs, I'd like to know if the analog connection will be equal to the task that HDMI does.

I currently have a new Sunfire Theater Grand 5 processor.

The link to my system is below.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...142632707&view

...thanks, Mitch

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...142632707&view

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the new Panasonic BD 50 Blu -ray connected with Anthem AVM-50 (with 5.1 analog inputs). The BD 50 gives the new sound format from analog outputs. The sound is simply amazing, exactly as the bitstream (just 5.1 and not 7.1)

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
With the S300, the analog outs would only be helpful for discs with uncompressed PCM tracks. The only advanced codec it can handle is DD+, a format which is not used much (at all?) on Blu-ray. HDMI on your processor wouldn't make any difference with this either, since it can't handle the new codecs. This player will give you legacy DD asnd DTS, which optical can handle just fine.

To use analog, you need a player that can decode all the new formats. The Denon 3800BDCI and Panasonic BD50 are the only current players that can do so. Pioneer has two units coming out soon (the 51FD AND 05FD), Sony will have the S550, and Marantz is releasing the 8002 with full decoding.

As for using analog with lossless, it is every bit as good as HDMI, with a couple of caveats. First, bass management and speaker controls will have to be done in the player, unless your processor can redigitize the analog inputs. Most cannot. The Denon (at $2,000) has good bass and speaker management. The other players coming out are not so good on that score. Second, audio is affected by the quality of the DACs. HDMI uses the DACs in the processor. Analog uses the ones in the player. Better DACs = better audio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks BIslander. Your response was exactly what I needed to know in making my decision.

Buying the new Denon will solve my problem. I can get access to the new codecs and processing with the new Denon 3800BDCI via analog and I can keep my current pre/pro without having to purchase a new one. So, in effect, the new Denon becomes my new processor. I currently own the Toshiba HD-XA2 (which has a killer upconversion picture on standard definition with that Reon chip) and Sony BD S300. I'm going to sell them both and use the proceeds towards the purchase of the new Denon. I can't wait.

...thanks again for your help.

mitch

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Glad to be of assistance. I'd love to get the Denon, too. But, I just can't bring myself to spend $2,000 on a player and selling my Toshiba HD-A3 wouldn't help very much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts