AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you Infocus 7200/Toshiba MT8 owners out there are using a 92" diagonal 16:9 screen (45 x 80)? I would be interested in hearing about the picture quality on a smaller screen. Is it too bright? Is there any screen door effect at 1.5x screen width... what about at 1x the screen width?

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too would be interested, as I am cnsidering a similar configuration.

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've got a 90" wide, 102" diagonal Firehawk screen (1.3 gain) in a light controlled room with my 7200. I didn't think the picture was too bright but I did find the absolute black level to be somewhat distracting. Also, the Firehawk has some level of hot spotting that is noticeable on a full white screen (but I've never noticed it on normal video material). I have decided to use a 2x neutral density filter (cuts output by 50%) in order to reduce absolute black level. With my current setup I find the brightness to be adequate and the absolute black levels to be more to my liking.

With your size screen, I would probably choose the Grayhawk (.95 gain) and still experiment with a 2x neutral density filter. This combination would give you about the same brightness and absolute black levels (actually maybe a little less for each) as I currently have. It would also reduce the level of hot-spotting with the Firehawk. Again, I'm not saying the Firehawk hot-spotting is objectionable, only that you might be able to avoid it with a smaller screen and a Grayhawk.

Regarding screen door; With my current setup (including ND filter) I can OCCASIONALLY notice SOME screendoor at 1.5x screen width when displaying a uniform bright field. The most common situation is displaying a bright blue sky. I don't find this a serious defect and I don't think the 7200 is any different than any other DLP (at a similar brightness). AT 1x under the same conditions I can see screendoor more easily. Again, I don't think this is a real problem and at 1x I personally find it distracting to watch an image that large that close (independent of screendoor).

Remember this is my personal opinion and a function of my personal tastes and the fact that I have a light controlled room.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have an 82" firehawk with an MT8, again with a light controlled room, and find the blacks are too grey - they look too light - it has been calibrated and am running v 2.9 (soon to be 3.2) - a neutral density filter, sounds interesting, which one did u go for, what size, how is it fitted and will it help turn the greys to black?

May I also ask what colour/contrast/brightness etc settings your running?

Has anyone developed a way of shielding the light spill from the MT8 as this probably isnt helping

Regards

M

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
With that screen size, the highest gain I would go to is 1.0, which would give you about 32 foot-lamberts of brightness or double what you would see in a movie theater. We routinely demo the 7200 on a 0.8 gain, 80 inch wide screen (Da-Lite High Contrast Da Mat).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.