AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
well my first flag was seagate drives!!

these are notorious for failure!! especially with no ventalation.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
What?? I thought Seagate drives where suppose to be some of the better drives. Most have a 5yr warranty.

I'm I behind the times, as something changed with Seagates?

This is an honest question as I end up buying a new drive every 6mo or so and I want to make sure I stick with good quality drives.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Now that I have my drive question out there, I took a look at the unit.

It seems like the biggest thing with this unit is the fact that it is fanless. Great if you are sticking this is your HT where sound is an issue. Bad if you are going to stick it somewhere that you don't care about noise and want the longest life out of your drives.

Personally I would want to stick a NAS in my wiring closet and wouldn't want a fanless unit.

·
Registered
467 Posts
just my experience with seagates in similar type of devices.

we used them in hughes network systems mmv's and had to go out in the field an dreplace all of em with maxtors because they kept failing due to heat and head slap.

and i have experienced a couple of other units with seagates in them and they failed for the same reason.

not sure about the particular model of drive though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 /forum/post/0

Now that I have my drive question out there, I took a look at the unit.

It seems like the biggest thing with this unit is the fact that it is fanless. Great if you are sticking this is your HT where sound is an issue. Bad if you are going to stick it somewhere that you don't care about noise and want the longest life out of your drives.

Personally I would want to stick a NAS in my wiring closet and wouldn't want a fanless unit.

Yeah, the more I thought about it, I realized that the unit, while certainly nice-looking, is too pricey just to have the ability to place it among other A/V equipment. You are right, since it connects to other equipment via ethernet, there is no need to have it in the same room with other AV equipment and one can get the same functionality in a much cheaper, albeit not-so-nice-looking unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.