AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondering if the reviews stating that S-VHS recordings on the JVC are truly stunning and better than from an actual S-VHS deck (like my JVC 7800). Example: Will the JVC's S-VHS recording of a laserdisc be superior to the normal S-VHS recording off a normal S-VHS deck?

Will that S-VHS tape be fully compatible with typical S-VHS decks?

·
Premium Member
6,271 Posts
Can't answer the question directly as I don't own a JVC-30K. But I have noticed a dramatic improvement in S-VHS quality from JVC since the very first machine of theirs that I owned back in 1987.

More recently I've owned the S9400 (which was their last model to have "commercial advance" before the industry squashed that feature) that I still have, the S9600 that I gave to a friend, and now the S9800 which I also still have. Each model had visual quality imrovements over its predecessors, with the S9800 really quite remarkable. I personally still prefer my Sony EDV-9500 ED-Beta, but the current S-VHS is certainly excellent.

Probably the S-VHS capbility in the 30K is reflective of the very significant improvements in regular S-VHS machines that JVC has produced over the past five years.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes, the SVHS tapes I have made with my 30k are noticably better than those made with my other JVC SVHS deck. Recordings of SD sources in DVHS HS mode are 480p DVD quality recordings (at least when supplied with first generation satellite 480i content). DVHS HS mode recordings are indiscernable from the input signal. I have only recorded SD material in DVHS since seeing the results. I use JVC SVHS tapes exclusively. No drops or other anamolies.

Ray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.