AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between the 45" Sharp and 46" Samsung as large screen computer monitors (only). There is a reasonable amount of experience detailed on this forum with the Sharp unit, but haven't seen any on the Samsung.

Anyone bought one ? Anyone hooked one up to a PC ? If so, what video card results can you share ?

Might the Samsung (from a traditional monitor company) not have the same boot-up issue that the Sharp has (no display during 640 x 480 screens prior to Windows load) ? (I am not saying this is a huge issue, just one that has been identified so far.)

Looking for any experience out there.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm still standing on the sidelines but based on the resolution and initial reviews of the 45" Sharp I would buy it without hesitation. If I'm not mistaken they're the only display currently for sale that measures over 40" and offers 1920 columns by 1080 lines. I'm holding out for a 55" LCD with 1920x1080 pixels for less than 10K. Hopefully that may happen in 2 years or slightly less.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Do a search on recent threads and you will find a pointer to a review of the Samsung. By all reports, it does not seem to have a great image. But for a computer monitor, it may be OK.

Amir

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks LCD1080 and Amir,

There will be at least a couple of more 1920 x 1080 displays to compete with Sharp and Samsung soon, but I am leaning to the Sharp. I had seen the reviews on the Sammy, and as you say, they don't greatly impact my choice for a choice monitor. We are already well practiced sending DVI directly to Sharp panels, and the fact that this model is cheaper (~ $500), lighter, thinner, and that there is a growing segment of AVS Forum members buying it and using it (at least part time) to connect to computers, is pretty compelling.

I had been wanting to get the Samsung because of their traditional greater attention to PC connectivity. But in this case, they both should work. Its kind of ironic though, that these forums are a better resource than the mfg's when it comes to using these panels as computer displays. And that is influencing my purchasing decision, even as an industrial user.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
LCD 1080, your wish may come true. It's likely that the first 55s are going to be in the vicinity of $15,000 MSRP, perhaps higher but not likely for too long. Even at $20,000, two years of -20% yields $16,000 MSRP then

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.