AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching the reviews on newegg for this board (ion 330 AU)and I am looking to get an Xbox360 replacemet to run XBMC for media streaming. Wireless N is a requirement. I don't need the full HTPC experience, just streaming (music, dvd iso, bluray iso, etc).

I have read a "few" threads for the zotac ion boards on this forum and wanted to know if anyone has stuck with it, and do you like it? Or has everyone moved onto something else already?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I'm using this board and I like it so far. If it is a single purpose machine you want to build then you should be fine. Download the latest flash 10.1 beta if you want to play flash content. You can checkout my review on newegg.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I'm using one. Two if you count the IONITX-D-E. It works pretty well, but now that I'm dabbling with emulators, the Atom CPU just doesn't cut it.

By the way, I don't have an Xbox 360, but when I tried streaming to the PS3 via UPnP/DLNA, I was getting hiccups during playback. Apparently, it was re-encoding the video in real-time which the Atom CPU is ill-equipped to handle.

You might be better off with a Zotac GeForce 9300-G-E paired with a Celeron E3300.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/18310242

By the way, I don't have an Xbox 360, but when I tried streaming to the PS3 via UPnP/DLNA, I was getting hiccups during playback. Apparently, it was re-encoding the video in real-time which the Atom CPU is ill-equipped to handle.

I was wanting a replacement for the xbox360. No transcoding required. The server can handle that.

I will wait and see if there are any other replies. I am considering the AspireRevo AR3610-U9022 since it's price is cheaper than a DIY build with the same hardware. Looks like it has the same MB in it.

Any problems with the HDMI audio on you zotac ion boards?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
*sigh* That's what happens when you reply while you're on meds.

Anyhow, yes, the ION should work fine for the tasks you mentioned. Don't know how stable DXVA support is on XBMC, though.

As for HDMI audio, mine's used in a bedroom set-up and connected directly to the TV. Stereo HDMI audio works just fine. No idea how it fares when connected to an AVR with a multi-channel set-up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts