AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've been using TweakUI in various Windows versions and I find it to be very stable and a great util. If I remember correctly, it was actually written by some of the M$ developers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dizzy49. I'll give it a try and if it crashes my system I'll be posting here to find out how to restore it ;-)

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
I have used it for a long time. (But I don't know XP.)

Currently it keeps data discs from autoplaying. (The option to keep data discs from autoplaying keeps PCfriendly from trying to run when you put in a DVD that features it, like the Matrix for example.)

edit: A member here by the name of Milori has developed a IconHider program that hides all the icons and the task bar at startup. It's free, it's small, and it works. Do a search for IconHider for more details.

-Brian

·
Registered
571 Posts
I do not think Tweak UI poses any risk to your stable system. I have been using it since the Windows 95 days. It's written by developers at Microsoft, however Microsoft does not want to support it, which is why they put the disclaimer on it. You can download it directly from their site.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The remove recycle bin tab works fine, I only have my computer on the desktop. Also note that it treats the desktop for th enew and classic start menu seperately..

I normally enable my computer and disable recycle bin with the new style start menu.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can also use the Policy Editor (poledit.exe) to "Remove all desktop objects" or something like that. They don't actually ship it with XP--MS bundled it with .NET this time around. However, it's available with just about every other build of Windows, and XP definitely accepts old policies.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I've been using TweakUI for years with no problems. It was written by MS (I downloaded from their web site) but is unsupported. Basically all it does is provide a nice GUI to modify a bunch of registry entries that control Windows behavior. You could do these yourself with REGEDIT, but the trick is knowing which keys to edit and the values to use. Using TweakUI is much easier and safer. I wouldn't worry about using it and most of the tweaks are reversible if they cause problems.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Doug Rivizza:

___The question you should have asked is who isn’t using MS’s Powertoys for Windows xxxx and if they aren’t, they should ;) The TweakUI built into ver. 1.0 - 1.2 of the PowerToys not only can get rid of the Recycle bin on the DT under XP without issues but take a look at all the tools inside. One of the add-ons that most may have not seen is the updated calculator with a Graphing tool and displays your last calculations like a paper roll. Without PowerToys, Windows would be a lot less user friendly IMO …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.