AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be getting my LT150 this week. For now I have a 6' breakout cable I bought for $7.50 that works great, but I need 25' or distance and switching capability for the following sources:

Progressive scan DVD

Sega Dreamcast with VGA output

Xbox with component HD out.

Maybe later -->iScan Pro or Plus set to component out

I was going to use the 6' breakout cables from the DVD and Xbox. to the switcher, a regular VGA cable from the Dreacast VGA box to the switchbox, and a high quality 25' extension VGA from the switchbox to the projector. Anyone have a similar setup? I don't want to spend $300 on the 25 foot cable. I am sure there is a good quality VGA cable available for much less. And switching is also of concern. I've only seen the cheap ones and the very expensive ones. Isn't there anything in between? Anyone see any possible problems with the proposed setup? I need cheap solutions here. Had to buy a cruise for my wife to quiet her after getting the LT150. Thanks for the help.

[This message has been edited by shahram72 (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a LT150 as well. I too am interested in a VGA switchbox in the future, but on the cable aspect of things I couldn't be happier with my purchases from www.avcable.com. In fact I have wired 95% of my HT system with cables from Jim at avcable (the other 5% was decent stuff left over). I did some research on the raw materials that various custom cable places use, and avcable uses the highest quality materials for the price BY FAR. All my analog audio, video, and digital cables were made to the INCH of what I wanted, resulting in a very neat appearance. For instance, my 20' studio grade VGA to component cable was only about $70. Also, my 20' siamesed coax s-video cable (totally separate coax cables in a zip cord config, not bundled mini coax) was only $30. Best of all, he shipped out two relatively large orders within two days of placing the order. The quality, speed, and price are unmatched.

- Dieter

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked avcable.com and their prices were much higher than what you list. I will check again. How did you get those prices?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use www.networktechinc.com and I paid $75.00 for a 50' VGA cable. I have had no problems driving my NEC LT154, and I also tried other Analog Monitors just to test the cable. I was pleased with the results.

I too want to get a good switch box and I think I will go with these guys, as they have high-res VGA only boxes with easy switching on the front. But the boxes are a bit pricey. Any one else with a lead on a good video switcher?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shahram72:
I checked avcable.com and their prices were much higher than what you list. I will check again. How did you get those prices?
The VGA to component breakout (3 wire) is what I have for $70. The VGA to VGA or 5 wire BNC is more expensive because of the extra soldering and the extra cost of the 5 wire mini coax bundle. It's something like $100 for a 20' length of that, but it's $100 well spent, IMHO. If you call the 800 number (Jim has answered both times I ordered), he can give you a quote for exactly what you want. I also chose to eliminate the hook-and-loop sleeve that dresses up the cables, and that also saved $$. I'm using his analog audio interconnects for my B&K separates (they use Belden 1800F cable with Switchcraft connectors), and the digital audio/analog video cables I bought use the highest bandwidth traditional RG6 on the market that I've found (Gepco VSD2001 with Canare 75 ohm connectors). I was amazed how inexpensive this stuff was to have made exactly to what I needed, and it's broadcast quality stuff. I will never shop elsewhere. Give him a call.

- Dieter

[This message has been edited by xp800 (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
257 Posts
To correct my prior post, it is the Progressive DVD playback option that has been removed from XBox.

Sorry for the confusion.

Rich B.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I have heard from some people here that they are using the cheap ones with no problems, but I am not sure who. I hope to hear from them in this thread. Like I said, I don't have to spend $20 on a switcher, it would be nice, but somewhere under $100 for a real quality unit would be preferable. But that does not exist to my knowledge. I think these cheap ones might work with 480p signals from the DVD player and my Dreamcast, but might not have the bandwidth capability for the HD output on the Xbox or a HD receiver.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just to let you guys know, HD ouput on XBox has supposedly been cancelled by Microsoft. I read this on Home Theater Forum. And supposedly, there is a discussion on this topic here at AVS.

Rich B.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't beleive it! That's one of the reasons I was getting the unit. I may change my mind on that now. Oh well, I don't want to change the topic, I'll look for those threads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.