AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see this subject brought up here much but I'm curious how many of you use a subscription music service such as XM Sat Radio or an internet streaming service such as Rhapsody with their HTPC?

I have used XM for about 6 months and liked it, but was unhappy with the sound quality. I tried the 2 week free trial of Rhapsody through Best Buy and I have to say I'm hooked! The fact that you can choose an album (they have 300,000) and play the entire thing is simply great. The only drawback is you need a broadband connection. It is .79/ song to permanently download, but so far I'm happy with the streaming (still $9.95/month though). I won't be happy if I encounter any streaming problems, but so far so good.

This has gotten my wife to use the HTPC more than anything else has so far (enough so that she demanded we upgrade our DSL to Cable modem - cool).

Bye-bye to XM Radio for me.

Mike

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was using the Delphi Skyfi with an AP2496 line-in. The output level of the Delphi was a pain for me though, if I ever go back to XM I'll probably try the XM PCR instead.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mjolson
I was using the Delphi Skyfi with an AP2496 line-in. The output level of the Delphi was a pain for me though, if I ever go back to XM I'll probably try the XM PCR instead.
I had the same problem using Delphi SkyFi into a Revo 7.1 soundcard OR direct input to my preamp. With either input the volume level was about 10dB low.

I have fixed that little problem with excellent results. I’m now feed the low analog audio from SkyFi into a Firewire 510 external soundcard (what do you call an external sound box?) that encodes to stereo PCM at 16/44.1 and then routed out of the optical S/PDIF at higher volume. The PCM to my preamp is then processed using DLPII(M) plus Cirrus Surround for 7.1 channels.

BTW, If you replace the 0.39-cent analog cable that came with the Delphi SkyFi you must reverse the L/R channels at the processor input.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Cliff could you tell me what type of adapter I need to attach my Sony XM radio to my 410FW. What I have on my XM is RCA-Mini -> RCA L and R. I have never seen those analog interfaces on the 410RW and at a loss on what to buy to interface the two.

THANKS!!!

-Pat

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I looked at Rapsody but I couldn't find the music I like. Most are dance remixes of popular songs I look for. Hopefully as these services get more popular they will carry a wider selection.

Tim Huey

·
Registered
119 Posts
What about shoutcast? I listen to techno / industiral / jazz / classical rather often and have had great results. Sure, its only 128-192kbps mp3 but it still has better quality than radio and can be heard with little interruption from advertising. Best of all... its free!

Leo

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been using MusicMatch radio (subscription) for a couple years now. I think it's around $40 - $50 / year so you may want to check it out. They have low quality streaming so you can check out their selection. IMHO, their "CD Quality" streaming is not quite all that, but it is good and probably a little better than the XM in my car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.