AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Samsung HLN617W manufactured in May 2003 with firmware version 211 that I bought in July. The retailer has offered to exchange my TV (so I don't have to go throught the upgrade program) for one with newer firmware so that I can get the discrete codes for component switching. I don't want to take them up on their offer until it seems that the firmware is stable so I have a few questions -

1. If you recently bought a 61" Samsung DLP, what was the month of manufacture and the version of the firmware? (It appears that Samsung has quickly moved from version 214 to 302 to 306.)

2. If you have version 302 or 306, are you happy with the picture?

3. Have you had a chance to compare your picture with that of a Samsung with the earlier firmware?

Thanks for your help!

To check your firmware version, start with the set turned off and pres Mute-1-8-2-Power on your remote.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As another follow-up question - has anyone talked to Samsung technical support to see what changes were made to each firmware version?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just took delivery on a HLN617 last week. It was manufactured in July and has firmware 302. This is the first I'm hearing of 306. I made some tweaks using the information posted on threads in this forum. I'm thrilled with my HD pictures (Sci Atlanta 4100 cable) via components. Can't wait until Cablevision upgrades to a box with DVI.

Ian

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zorax2
I've got a Samsung HLN617W manufactured in May 2003 with firmware version 211 that I bought in July. The retailer has offered to exchange my TV (so I don't have to go throught the upgrade program) for one with newer firmware so that I can get the discrete codes for component switching. I don't want to take them up on their offer until it seems that the firmware is stable so I have a few questions -

1. If you recently bought a 61" Samsung DLP, what was the month of manufacture and the version of the firmware? (It appears that Samsung has quickly moved from version 214 to 302 to 306.)

2. If you have version 302 or 306, are you happy with the picture?

3. Have you had a chance to compare your picture with that of a Samsung with the earlier firmware?

Thanks for your help!

To check your firmware version, start with the set turned off and pres Mute-1-8-2-Power on your remote.
After I enter the service menu with the Mute-1-8-2-Power, how do I get out of it? Do I just shut the TV off and on and everything will be back to normal? I've read you can really mess up the TV in the service menu and I'm just a little paranoid about it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by awilki01
After I enter the service menu with the Mute-1-8-2-Power, how do I get out of it? Do I just shut the TV off and on and everything will be back to normal? I've read you can really mess up the TV in the service menu and I'm just a little paranoid about it.
Just turn the tv off for about a minute or so and then turn it back on and everything will be fine. The only way to mess it up is if you start changing certain settings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's my post from another thread:

Service guy came out and replaced my HLN567W 2.11 board with the new one. (No cost, under warranty.)

I had e-mailed Samsung, who replied after a week or so, and told me to contact the designated service center for my area. I called them on Friday, they indicated they would call Samsung and order the new board. Got a call from the service center on Tuesday afternoon asking to come out Tuesday night.

Turns out to be version 3.06, dated 8-20-03 (T-B3K6101-306). No problems with the upgrade, tokk about 20 minutes. Picture quality seems slightly better, although the old board's picture quality was excellent out of the box. Haven't tweaked anything yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am getting the same TV delivered next week. Besides the firmware is there anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks,

-Rich

PS. I am new to this forum and to the high end TV and Home theater realm.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
I have a 2.14 bios. I got my TV a few weeks ago. Should I really be concerned??? What's the difference?
You are fine. You have discrete commands and no one knows what changes Samsung made in versions 302 and 306.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Quote:
I'm sorry for such a newb question, but what are discrete commands?
"Discrete commands" means that the set supports specific "discrete" IR codes for performing specific functions like "on", "off", "switch to component 1 input", etc. This is as opposed to sets that force you to toggle through the inputs to get the one you want, or treat on/off as a toggle setting. Such things can be VERY troublesome for those who are trying to set up macros in a nice programmable remote.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
For the Samsung DLP sets with firmware version 214 or later you can issue a command to do , , and select any input directly. In order to use discrete commands you need to have a programmable remote.

The advantage is that you can set up one button actions that turn on everything that you need to watch a DVD or other inputs. You no longer need a remote for each device.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Two days ago the local sevicecenter (Electrasound in COlumbus OH) brought my new circuit board and when he fired it up I was surprised to see that I now have build 302. I had 211 and was expecting 214.

The picture quality is about the same as before on HD and on std def digital cable-truly excellent. On analog cable the picture is slightly improved if anything, but still varies across channels.

In the setup menus the service man noticed that some pages have many more parameter entries than before, notably the dnie page has aboaut 30 entries now, but it is not clear what they are there for since the present service manual doesn't even mention them.

BTW I have nothing but good things to say about how Samsung and Electrasound handled this upgrade. The serviceman spent nearly two hours at my house because he had not done the upgrade before and he and his manager had decided that it would be prudent to write down ALL of the parameter values on the 211 board before replacing it, rather than just the DELAY, FAN_NUM and Bulb Type as recommended in the service bulletin. He then went through and checked them all in the new board and sure enough found several that were different (Very sorry but I didn't get which ones- he was going too fast for me) He also took the time to explain anything I wanted to ask about- for example I found out that the DELAY parameter has to do with the timing between the color wheel and mirrors and that the main board he replaced does not include the DLP module itself which sits right in front of the board in the chasis.

The best news he gave me was that he recommends the Samsung DLP to anyone who asks him for advice on what display technology to buy. The reason is that there is much less to go wrong with this technology. He said the only two parts that will wear out with age are the bulb (we all knew that) and the motor that spins the color wheel. The good news about these is that they are both inexpensive and easy to replace.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BTDT
"Discrete commands" means that the set supports specific "discrete" IR codes for performing specific functions like "on", "off", "switch to component 1 input", etc. This is as opposed to sets that force you to toggle through the inputs to get the one you want, or treat on/off as a toggle setting. Such things can be VERY troublesome for those who are trying to set up macros in a nice programmable remote.
I have a programmable remote; now, where do I begin.... LOL!! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.