AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All was fine and well in my world of Enjoying UltimateTV. I pre-ordered my UltimateTV and had it as soon as possible. Since then I have been enjoying my days of recording shows and watching TV my way.

My world has changed today! I received my new DirecTV access cards in the mail. "Kewl!" I thought...

I went into my bedroom and easily changed the access card in my old Sony receiver and it worked fine. Next, I went intot he den to upate my UltimateTV. Here is where I have questions :)

I have an RCA UltimateTV receiver. Since I have an empty access card slot, I just stuck it in there, and it immediately flipped to the MSNTV screen and started dialing. After it connected, we got an error that it failed to read the access card. I tried again, and received the same error.

I decided to call support. The verified all the numbers on the cards, and then reset my account, and re-sent the programming signal to the machine. Nothing ever worked, and stupid me called them on the same line as the UltimateTV was using so I had to hang up with them to test.

Long story short, I ca't watch anything as it now says that my ultimateTV is not authorized.

Thoughts:

Should I have had an access card that came with my UTV? I never had one, but in the settings, it says that there is one. When I try to update to a new access card through the menus, it asks for the old one. I don't have one so is that the root of my problem? They said that they are sending me another one, but I suspect I will still be hosed since I don't have an old access card to walk through this menu.

I have tried some of the UTV code to reset things, but nothing has changed. Should I just drop the $150 for a new receiver and make sure I get an access card?

Maybe some smart UTV hacker out there has an access code that may apply here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
just a question...you did take out the old card on the left and put the new card in that slot and you are not using the smart card slot on the right (at least that is how the sony is configured....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That the thing, I never had an access card. I always just had a empty slot. However, everything works fine. In the settings, there is a system info section, and it displays the access card number. When I go in through the software, and try to update to a new access card, it asks for the old one. I never had one. So I can't proceed. I suspect that I have been clueless the whole time by not having an access card, but everything has always worked without it, and Directv knew the number and sent me a replacement.

·
Registered
675 Posts
May I ask the stupid question....you DO realize there are TWO slots on the UTV, the WRONG one is exposed the correct one is behind the door that opens when you press the panel on the center of the receiver that has all the dots on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh my. I feel 2 inches big. :) That is the answer. I was incorrectly putting the access card in the "Smart Card" door. Mesa no think dat works :)

I just called DirecTV and they resent the programming signal with the new card in the box and all is better! Thanks so much for all your help!!!

Why couldn't anyone on the other end of the phone (at UltimateTV) tellme this?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UTVUser
Oh my. I feel 2 inches big. :) That is the answer. I was incorrectly putting the access card in the "Smart Card" door. Mesa no think dat works :)

Why couldn't anyone on the other end of the phone (at UltimateTV) tellme this?

Good question..... Your not the first person to have done this.... so don't feel bad ... ;)

Once you have the update... it's a nice little PVR ... till things get better.... enjoy....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.