AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering how a SVCD (480x480) looks blown up on a projector compared to a DVD (720x480). I have a bunch of SVCDs that I'd like to watch that look great (almost as good as DVD) on my 32" and I'm wondering how it will look bigger. Thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have watched Super Troopers on DivX format in high quality, it's pretty nice but in my opinion there were two things that bothered me:

1. You can't miss the compression dithering and artifacting. It's everywhere. If you are able to look past this (as I was) it shouldn't be much of a problem...but the lower bit rate movies you get, the worse it will be. It's unreal how much TVs can hide those quality issues.

2. Sound is pretty terrible...I am use to DVDs in DD and DTS format and love the clarity in sound (even with a not terribly great set of speakers) and when you play Divx and SVCDs you get pretty dumbed down 2 channel audio, which just doesn't compare. Again, if you can ignore this, then it should be just fine.

Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I used to watch a lot more DivXs and SVCDs when I had a 27" SVGA monitor. When I switched to a projector, the lower resolution and compression artifacts became so obvious that I rarely watch them now. It changed my viewing habits so I would say it is noticeable.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you are encoding the SVCD's yourself, multipass rendering (encoding) will reduce artifacting & color aberations tremendously. Of course, it will increase rendering times tremendously as well. Using the DivX Pro codec will also help, as it is slightly improved over the free version.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about the audio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.