AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that football (or soccer :)) is not very popular in this part of the world (US), but any forum member watch it?

I have watched the game with my HTPC (NEC XG135LC with 92 inch wide screen running 720p) and DScaler 4 and it just WOW.... And this is from normal broadcast tv from local tv station, it is not HiDef broadcast.

Maybe because I like the game so mich that I was not too critical with the pic quality, anyway I praise the DScaler team for bringing this wonderfull software to reality...

DScaler RULE!!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not to start a totally off-topic religious war, but...

Since you brought up Football, I am curious as to how many people feel they have an intricate knowledge of both American Football and European Football (soccer.)

... and moreover, which they prefer and their reasons for the preference.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah the World Cup is amazing to watch from ANY TV :). I wish it was in hi def though, maybe in 2006?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh yeah, it's time for real football:D

Did I see this right, Germany-Saudy Arabia 8:0?

BTW, this thread will prolly get moved.

·
Registered
144 Posts
yeah, I watch some world cup too ... love soccer :) ... though maybe that's b/c I'm originally from Russia ;)

too bad don't have big screen tv and nice sound system :(

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just to let you know us forum members get everywhere, I'm currently in Japan following the England team in a professional capacity, reading the forum on a 64k wireless modem card on my laptop from a hotel room in Kobe. I'm missing my HTPC but it can't beat seeing the game for real from pitch side.

They've got HDTV here in Japan, and boy does it look good on soccer, I'd love to see it through a HTPC on a decent projector!!! There are so many cool PC gadgets here in Japan.

Dan

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I can't wait to watch the Red Wings capture the World Cup.....

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottK
Since you brought up Football, I am curious as to how many people feel they have an intricate knowledge of both American Football and European Football (soccer.)
I think I do. I grew up in central Ohio as an Ohio State Buckeye football fanatic. I started going to games when I was probably around 8. Loved it. Still do, too! I love the passion of the college game (I don't like NFL), the roaring 100k+ crowd, the sea of scarlet. Eddie George busting for 328 yards against Illinois in 20 degree temps. Fantastic.

I'm also a big futbol fan. Played as a kid, including high school. I've been an assistant coach at the high school level. I watch nearly every MLS match I can (been to over 100, including a few away games in Chicago and Washington), and have watched nearly every World Cup match since '94. I've been to a number of World Cup qualifiers for the US. Nothing beats the sheer emotion of a big goal in a huge match. I was at the US-Mexico qualifier in Columbus (Feb 01) in the end that Wolff scored the go-ahead goal, and the mass delierium in weather that would've frozen a Taun-Taun is truly remarkable. I would've climbed up on a fence to shake it like a madman, had there been one!

I love the common/shared experience of sport, but Association Football wins over American Football because - in my mind - the game is faster, more free-flowing, with less dead time and more flair. I can get excited watching France-Cameroon in a way that will never happen while watching Florida-Florida State, even tho watching a Columbus Crew - Chicago Fire is much like watching my alma-mater Ohio State Buckeyes play the dreaded M*ch*g*n Wolverenes. Nothing tops watching the US play in a high-stakes match. I'll be a big bundle of raw nerves early Wednesday morning. :)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
the best thing about soccer is the fact that the US is the worst team in the world. i can't be any prouder than i am that the US gets 32nd place every year. i know, i know.... i dont have the "passion". whatever. soccer sucks. stop calling it football.

"We lost 2-0 to the Netherlands, who have maybe, say 100 people, (not 100 million, a hundred), compared to our 260 million.

I would guess people who play soccer for a living are like those people who just “collect a paycheckâ€. Soccer players probably live for the weekend, pray for Friday. They must hate their job. Ask them how they feel on Monday, and then ask Soccer player how he feels on Friday. Check out the difference.

How do most of us feel on Friday? “Hey it’s Friday!†And Monday, “Damn it’s Monday again alreadyâ€.

True, not all of us are lucky enough to have a job in which we enjoy. I love my job, but I know Professional Soccer Guy hates his job.

Our first World Cup match is scheduled against Portugal. Correction, our first scheduled loss is against Portugal.

Let me back up…how did we lose to Iran in Soccer? Is there any grass in Iran? I don’t know, I’ve never been there. But from the pictures I’ve seen, no grass. I know we’re supposed to be bad in Soccer, and I shouldn’t be too upset about losing to anybody…but how did we lose to Iran? And how does a team who loses to Iran make the World Cup? They already have World Cup Qualifiers, so I would suspect that there should be World Cup Disqualifiers. THAT should get you disqualified."

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar
the best thing about soccer is the fact that the US is the worst team in the world. i can't be any prouder than i am that the US gets 32nd place every year. i know, i know.... i dont have the "passion". whatever. soccer sucks. stop calling it football.
Worst team in the world? Hardly. Not even close. We've qualified for 4 straight tournaments - something very few countries can claim. Far less than half of the field this time around. And the Netherlands didn't even manage to qualify, even tho they are a better team. It's not easy, this qualification process. Unlike making the postseason in pretty much every domestic sport (too many bowl games, "wild cards", etc etc).

There is a reason it's called "football". You kick a ball around with your foot. Almost makes too much sense, doesn't it? It's the precursor of American Football anyway, which evolved from Rugby which split off from Association Football (or "soccer"). Soccer is the granddaddy of American Football.

Where'd you get that quote (or, at least I assume it's a quote since it's, well, in quotes) from anyway? Who said it?

Let's stay away from the whole Iran debacle. WC98 was rather embarassing - a coach who couldn't man-manage a bunch of five-year-olds, players who hated the coach, low team moral, and too much reliance on one gifted player (who was immediately hacked into irrelevance). Things look much more positive this time around - assuming we don't lose any more players to injury and both Mathis and Reyna are fully fit by Wednesday.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foosinho
I love the common/shared experience of sport, but Association Football wins over American Football because - in my mind - the game is faster, more free-flowing, with less dead time and more flair.
Nothing like an action-packed 3-hour game with a final score of 1-0. :rolleyes: It seems like 2/3 of the soccer game is in the middle of the field with absolutely no chance of scoring anytime soon. Give me NFL Football, NCAA Basketball, or NHL Hockey anyday. For me watching soccer ranks somewhere between baseball and golf, but then again I am just an arrogant SOB American.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonmx
Nothing like an action-packed 3-hour game with a final score of 1-0.
I think you are thinking of a 7-0 football game that takes 3.5 hours to play 60 minutes of clock time, with the ball actually in play somewhere between 30 and 40 minutes.

Soccer games are 90 minutes, take 2 hours to play (30 minute halftime), and the ball is usually in play for about 70 minutes. For the record.

I can appreciate a 3 yard run off tackle just as well as a nifty turn on the ball to hold possession, even if neither sequence leads to an immediate score. Most of a gridiron game is played between the 20 yard lines - "in the midfield".

A long pass for a touchdown is American Football's "immediate scoring threat". In soccer team A can be attacking and just 10 seconds later they might be pulling the ball out of their own net, having given up a classic counterattack goal.

In fact, last night's MLS game between Columbus at Chicago (at Chicago) ended 4 to 5. That's pretty comparable to a 28-35 NFL score - not lots of defense.

I think that - if you really gave soccer a chance - you'd find that the stereotypical criticisms really don't hold true. The England - Sweden game on Sunday was absolutely scintillating, even tho it ended 1-1. Lots of attacking, some terrific saves from the goalkeepers, and some hard tackles. Even the 1-0 France loss to Senegal last Friday was pretty exciting. Numerous times France hit the woodwork.

Soccer certainly isn't for everyone, but then again neither is the NFL. And at least the "world champions" in soccer are actually world champions.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I love the game. I love americans sports as well ( baseball was the game of my youth) but Foosinho is right- nothing beats a high grade world cup match. Speed, skill, strength, endurance, intelligence. No tv timeouts, only 3 substitutions, no fat DH's, no "special" teams. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:
.... I was at the US-Mexico qualifier in Columbus (Feb 01) in the end that Wolff scored the go-ahead goal, and the mass delierium in weather that would've frozen a Taun-Taun is truly remarkable.
Did you happen to catch the Oakland/Patriot playoff game last year? Too bad. Forget the Taun-taun--I'd say the Wampa Ice Monster would have stayed away from THAT one. I went to a Green Bay/Minnesota game on Monday night at Lambeau a couple of years ago--now THERE's enthusiasm.
Quote:
I think you are thinking of a 7-0 football game that takes 3.5 hours to play 60 minutes of clock time, with the ball actually in play somewhere between 30 and 40 minutes.

Soccer games are 90 minutes, take 2 hours to play (30 minute halftime), and the ball is usually in play for about 70 minutes. For the record.
OK. For the record. There is 70 minutes of play with ONE intermission? and the score STILL ends up (usually) being 1-0? I have the same issues with all the "net" oriented sports. I love a speed game, but I love the fact that I can sit back and analyze a play, discuss it with a buddy, hit the bathroom or grab a drink without missing anything. All the "Net" sports (soccer, hockey, basketball, etc) have the same up and down the field/court/ice thing going on. Just different equipment and rules. In the NFL or football in general the offense let's the defense get ready. Tactically, I think American football is incredible. I know every sport has it's tactics -- how thick are Pro Soccer playbooks?
Quote:
I can appreciate a 3 yard run off tackle just as well as a nifty turn on the ball to hold possession, even if neither sequence leads to an immediate score. Most of a gridiron game is played between the 20 yard lines - "in the midfield".

A long pass for a touchdown is American Football's "immediate scoring threat". In soccer team A can be attacking and just 10 seconds later they might be pulling the ball out of their own net, having given up a classic counterattack goal.
You're from the Cleveland area, so it only makes sense the NFL doesn't "grab" you (grin). You must admit that 1-0 (7-0) games in the NFL are rare -- even moreso in NCAA. In American Football, you get a lot less of the lucky/"look what fell into my possession" plays than in a "Net" game. (Being a MN Viking fan, I will exclude Antonio Freeman from this statement.) Almost every moment in American football is an attack. Would you concede that per second played, American football has much more action?
Quote:
I think that - if you really gave soccer a chance - you'd find that the stereotypical criticisms really don't hold true. The England - Sweden game on Sunday was absolutely scintillating, even tho it ended 1-1. Lots of attacking, some terrific saves from the goalkeepers, and some hard tackles. Even the 1-0 France loss to Senegal last Friday was pretty exciting. Numerous times France hit the woodwork.
That does sound exciting--no really, it does. One of the reasons I LOVE the NFL is because even the teams who are the worst are amazingly talented. The France/Senegal match sounds like it was great. But is that true of most Soccer games?
Quote:
Soccer certainly isn't for everyone, but then again neither is the NFL. And at least the "world champions" in soccer are actually world champions.
Well, I originally asked the question because I feel I have a good, working knowledge of soccer but am much more knowledgeable about American Football. Knowing both, I can't imagine someone preferring Soccer over American Football. I appreciate your response. To me, American Football is the ultimate team sport. While all the "Net" games require a certain level of teamwork (and baseball, too) I don't see them as team-oriented. The precision with which an offensive lineman has to execute and rely on his fellow linemen is amazing. Zone defenses where the cornerbacks and safeties have to almost be telepathic to keep coverages. The QB who prays his Runningback read the blitz and is picking up the 250+ pass rusher on his blindside...

...and as far as their being a "world" championship. Give it time. If it ever stops being trendy to dispise all things American again, I think you'll eventually see some attempts to change NFL-E from a farm system into a real force.

*sigh* How long until Football season starts?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottK
For the record. There is 70 minutes of play with ONE intermission? and the score STILL ends up (usually) being 1-0?
Actually, I'd say that most games usually end up in the 2-1 range. About 3 scores per game. The 4 Major League Soccer (MLS) games over the weekend finished 3-2, 2-0, 2-2, and 5-4. I'd look up the World Cup scores, but I haven't had a chance to watch this morning's results on my TiVo yet, so I'll have to do it from memory... I can recall 3-1, 8-0, 2-1, 1-1, 1-0, another 1-0, another 1-1... and that's it.

Quote:
Tactically, I think American football is incredible. I know every sport has it's tactics -- how thick are Pro Soccer playbooks?
Pro Soccer playbooks? What? ;) Actually, for me, that's one of the draws of the game... once the whistle blows for kickoff, the coaches are pretty minimalized. Soccer allows for more individualism, more flair. There are still tactics, but rather than drawing up specific plays, tactics are dealt with more along the lines of general concepts - running off the ball, overlaps, showing to provide support, wall passes, triangle passes, etc etc. Think of it like a play where you lineup in a particular set and each player makes the read at the line, and has unlimited tactical options. So instead of choosing between two possible routes, the receiver can go anywhere depending on the defense. Make the QB's job tougher, but good players who practice together can develop an understanding of each other. Kinda like that tricky touchdown by Marino a few years back where he fooled the defense into thinking he was going to spike the ball. The receiver understood what Marino was thinking implicitly.

Quote:
One of the reasons I LOVE the NFL is because even the teams who are the worst are amazingly talented. The France/Senegal match sounds like it was great. But is that true of most Soccer games?
At this (World Cup) level? Yes. With the obvious exception this time around of Saudi Arabia. They looked like amateurs in their opening game, committing the kind of errors that would get high school players benched. In fact, low scoring games are usually a sign of competent defenses, not inept offenses. The HS team I coached averaged nearly 7 goals a game enroute to winning the city title.

Quote:
Knowing both, I can't imagine someone preferring Soccer over American Football.
Well, I do. :) Again, I love Ohio State football. I dislike the NFL because - in most cases - the passion doesn't seem to mirror the college game. (I'm the same way with most college sports, actually). Obviously, the structure of the American game attracts some people. Personally, I prefer the free-flowing nature of the world's version.

Quote:
While all the "Net" games require a certain level of teamwork (and baseball, too) I don't see them as team-oriented. The precision with which an offensive lineman has to execute and rely on his fellow linemen is amazing. Zone defenses where the cornerbacks and safeties have to almost be telepathic to keep coverages. The QB who prays his Runningback read the blitz and is picking up the rushing on his blindside...
I'd say that there are analagous situations in soccer. I was a defender in high school, and teamwork is especially crucial there. Most defenses are fairly complicated zonal systems, usually with some kind of matchup system. Obviously, if one player gets beat, someone needs to rotate over to help cover, which opens up a different space. Similarly, on the offensive end if two players read a situation differently, a chance at scoring has been blown, and usually posession lost.

I'll willingly concede that soccer has the potential for a player of the highest quality to create some truly spectacular goals. In fact, the MLS Goal of the Year last year was a 60+ yard run beating at least 5 defenders by US star Clint Mathis for New York. Stellar. But I've seen equally good goals created by clever passing. Against top-notch defenses, individual moments of brilliance are rarer than rare, and teamwork is usually the only way to score.

Quote:
*sigh* How long until Football season starts?
I know how you feel. I feel the same way for three years. Starting in about a month, I won't be able to wait for 2006! :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
Damn this sunny california life, televising games at upsurd times such as 4am!

Oh well, glad i configured my HTPC DVR Correctly!!!! Thanks to u guys of course :p Now i get to wake up to soccer, and sleep to soccer...i'm a happy man

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Where'd you get that quote (or, at least I assume it's a quote since it's, well, in quotes) from anyway? Who said it?
since you seem to be Soccer Fan, i'm sure you and your cronies already know who said what i quoted. his last name begins with an "R"...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
since you seem to be Soccer Fan, i'm sure you and your cronies already know who said what i quoted. his last name begins with an "R"...
That was my guess. Don't believe everything Romey sez... his business is all about ratings, and bashing soccer seems, for some reason, to get ratings. If he really didn't care, he just wouldn't say anything! :)

Back to the "football-v-football" discussion... I've got to say, I think my favorite NFL player was Barry Sanders. The man had flair. His runs were exhilerating - even if he only gained 5 yards. Pretty similar to a nice soccer play that results in a shot wide of goal, or off the woodwork. Looked pretty, was a joy to watch, and was appreciated by knowledgable fans for the display of skill, even if the end result didn't impact the scoresheet.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Quote:
Let me back up…how did we lose to Iran in Soccer? Is there any grass in Iran? I don’t know, I’ve never been there. But from the pictures I’ve seen, no grass.
US lost to Iran which was recently crowned the Asia's champ. And there are real good teams in that part of the world. Also the team had a bunch of talents including three pros who played for German leagues. Grass and soccoer... well you do not need a sea to become a good swimmer. And most serious soccers are played on synthetic grass. Also there is a good part of Iran that has plenty of rain fall.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.