AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if for smaller LCD TVs how much of a picture quality difference there is watching digital or HDTV television programs compared to analog reception. Trying to determine if it's worth it to switch from analog. Mine is a 22" LCD.

Sean

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Hello,

I have a Samsung LTM-225W (22") and use it for HD viewing. It's definitely not movie screen size but the increased quality of the HD picture can easily be discerned from a typical, interlaced SD CRT of the same size, even when viewed from several feet away. In fact, it looks a whole lot better.

Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If you have 20/20 vision, you should be able to resolve 1 pixel out of the 22" 1280x768 LCD from 51" away. People with 20/15 vision, e.g. kids, can resolve a pixel from almost 6' away.

SD has roughly half the horizontal resolution as HD. That means you should be able to see that from 100" away. So between 51" and 100", you should be able to tell a good HD from a good SD show.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have a 20 inch Sony TV in our bedroom, a good 12-15 feet from the head of our bed. I had been thinking of replacing it with a 22-23 inch LCD (a 30 won't fit), but it sounds like its gooing to be a waste of money. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
I've viewed my LTM-225W LCD from 8' to 10' feet away. The picture looses the "big image" WOW! factor but keeps the incredible detail. The pixels almost go away creating a small but incredibly detailed and smooth image.

As I state from time to time, one of the most incredible pictures I've ever seen on *any* screen is the 5.8" LCD display that came with the out-of-production Toshiba SD-P1000 LCD/DVD portable player. Amazing detail, color, and realism.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.