AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm this close to returning my un-opened 176" 2.35:1 screen and getting Elite's 196" Lunette curved instead. If the focusing issues of the edges bug me I'll worry about an anamorphic lens after the install.

I'm just curious if anyone has a curved screen and has decided they don't enjoy it as much as a flat screen. On the fence here.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Curved screens are about correcting pincushion distortion. They do help correct mild grid distortion as well. So you NEED an anamorphic lens for your curved screen.

Reactions: elmalloc

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize that, but the curved screen I want is $3,000 U.S. so the lens will have to wait.
I need a new screen now, you see, so I have to make a decision. I'd rather not buy a flat screen, then get a lens, then spend additional money on a curved screen.

I've decided to try to "build for the future" to save $ on the endless-upgrade bug. This Lunette has a very tight weave that is supposed to be better for the 4K projector which I also do not own but surely will when they get to less than $5,000.

The idea is to buy one screen which will serve well for another 10 years (that's how long I got out of a 100" 16X9 Stewart Firehawk).

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I built a curved screen a l8ttle over a year ago when i purchased a panamorph 480. I used the lens a little at 1st but really havent used it for about a year (i plan to sometime)

I have no regrets at all. I dont really notice the edges and imo the curved screen looks pretty darn cool

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Btw. Are tou sure you want to go that huge? Ive gone thru several screens and went up ans up in size only to go back down after a while. Im sure a 4k projector will help but you better make sure you are going to love that big of an image.

·
Registered
27,960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler  /t/1523954/anyone-with-a-curved-screen-wish-they-had-not-installed-it#post_24521858

Btw. Are tou sure you want to go that huge? Ive gone thru several screens and went up ans up in size only to go back down after a while. Im sure a 4k projector will help but you better make sure you are going to love that big of an image.

Yeah, for an image that size, you need a super-bright projector and/or a very high gain screen, not to mention a seating distance pretty far back. Seems like overkill for most home theater usage.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Yeah that's a huge screen, and as Josh says you are going to need a very bright projector for that size (especially if you are set with a 1.0 gain screen and are planning to zoom). The only projectors I know of with the necessary lumens that don't force you into selecting the "garish" picture mode are extremely expensive 3 chip DLP models.

Also, an anamorphic lens does not "require" a curved screen unless you are dealing with a short throw ratio. If you share all the specs of your theater it might help us assist you.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are good points. The room is 25 feet deep, so with a viewing distance of 2.5X the screen height that only puts me 15 feet back. 3X the height we're still 7 feet in front of the rear wall. How big did you go before you pulled back, and why Ed? Josh - yeah I will need some brightness for sure but the room is going to be a zero-ambient light, all-black bat cave so I think it will work.

This is the kind of theater look I personally enjoy - where the screen takes up almost all the real estate on the front wall:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s298/sh/b2145fd7-3987-4985-996c-fb7431afafd5/314820772b2c7c3fe78ab50567c94c81

And another good look:

http://www.artemendoza.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/delectable-general-home-theater-ideas.jpg

And another:

http://www.futurehometheater.com/modern-home-theater.php

So that's the general proportioning which I dig. I'll post up room measurements later.

Also I did some test shooting of the projector I have (the 700 lumen Samsung Joe Kane 720p) onto the tan wall where I am thinking of the screen, at 170-200 inches (2.35) and it seemed pleasing to me. I'm not a light cannon guy and I don't play games or have sports parties - it really is just watching films in the dark alone or with one or two other people - not entertaining. So no need for a pj which can compete with room lights.

·
Registered
27,960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves  /t/1523954/anyone-with-a-curved-screen-wish-they-had-not-installed-it#post_24523723

Josh - yeah I will need some brightness for sure but the room is going to be a zero-ambient light, all-black bat cave so I think it will work.

I have a bat cave, fully light controlled theater, and I still struggle with brightness on a screen much smaller than that. Don't forget that calibrated projectors never live up to the claimed brightness in the manufacturer specs, and the lamps dim as they age, rapidly during the break-in period of the first couple hundred hours.

A high gain screen can counter some of this problem, but at the expense of hot-spotting and visible screen texture.

Reactions: John Schuermann

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
here is my screen build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1447901/curved-screen-build

I went 128" wide and was going to go frameless but, just for grins and giggles, I framed it out with 3 1/2" velour covered framing and felt the extra resolution trumped the bigger size. So final width is 121" 2.35 scope.

To be fair, the kids' theater in the barn has a 140" wide 16:9 screen and it doesn't seem too big for the room. the picture quality necessarily suffers the bigger you go, but it definitely has more impact, if your room is large enough to handle it.

6 one way and half a dozen the other.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I do run both projectors on high lamp mode fwiw.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Josh - yeah good points again. I considered the Dalite Hi-power but I really want to go AT - so I'm doing the Elite acoustipro 1080p2 or the acoustipro4K. They claim 1.0 gain even after the light loss from the weave.

What I may do is end up running a stack - Elite has a relatively inexpensive device I read about recently called the Airflex 5D: http://airflex5d.com.cn/product.html

In the mean time I can just run a smaller picture than the screen allows for and mask off the sides - but at least I'm set for the future.

Ed - that looks fantastic. I wish I had carpentry skills! and a barn - a barn sounds nice too.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
So if you have a curved screen without an anamorphic lense it doesn't work? I thought the point of a curved screen was that it helped to better keep the entire image in focus since the distance to the sides of the screen is otherwise farther away than the distance to the middle of the screen from the projector. I've not researched this much yet, hence the reason I'm doing some searching on curved screens - as it seems to be a newer thing.

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea  /t/1523954/anyone-with-a-curved-screen-wish-they-had-not-installed-it/0_100#post_24524501

So if you have a curved screen without an anamorphic lense it doesn't work? I thought the point of a curved screen was that it helped to better keep the entire image in focus since the distance to the sides of the screen is otherwise farther away than the distance to the middle of the screen from the projector. I've not researched this much yet, hence the reason I'm doing some searching on curved screens - as it seems to be a newer thing.
Nope.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea  /t/1523954/anyone-with-a-curved-screen-wish-they-had-not-installed-it/0_50#post_24524501

The prime lens on the projector should be able to get a good focus (delineation) on the pixels towards the edge of the screen. If you can't this usually means one of two things; A.) your projector has cheap, small, optics. Or B.) You're using too much lens shift.

A curved screen should ONLY be used with an anamorphic lens. The main purpose of the curve is to offset pincushion.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I only made a curved screen because I happened to have an anamorphic lens and wanted a scope CIH setup. That said, I don't see myself ever going back. I really love having the curved screen. That ever so slight "smilebox" effect that a curved screen gives is something that I've grown to love. That said, I did have a scope "screen" painted onto my wall and it was perfectly fine tbh. If I ever decide I want to wander away from a lens I'll have to turf the curved screen and make a flat one. Not something I'm looking forward to.

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108  /t/1523954/anyone-with-a-curved-screen-wish-they-had-not-installed-it/0_100#post_24524930

A curved screen should ONLY be used with an anamorphic lens. The main purpose of the curve is to offset pincushion.
That is not correct. There are other reasons to use a curved screen, with light gain materials, although I do not generally prescribe one in a non-A-lens system.

That said, you do not want one for the sake of having one. And even with A-lens setups, the throw ratio plays a big part in whether or not to recommend one. Along with other room and system parameters unrelated to geometric compensation.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Well, like I said, the MAIN selling point for most is to alleviate pincushion artifacts. In a home theater environment for those using an anamorphic lens that would be what almost everyone who owns a curved screen is using it for. There are other applications for them. Many commercial theaters are starting to use curved screens for other purposes.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves  /t/1523954/anyone-with-a-curved-screen-wish-they-had-not-installed-it#post_24524098

In the mean time I can just run a smaller picture than the screen allows for and mask off the sides - but at least I'm set for the future.

that is good thinking. I'm sure the 4k resolution (and higher in the future) will be able to handle the size of screen you are thinking about.

Some of the theaters you referred to are gorgeous.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts