AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Klipsch RF-62 II's on the way and am about to order my screen. My screen wall is exactly 122". The official specs of the RF-62's is 8.5" wide. If I buy a 120" screen, the width of the screen will be 104.6". Factoring in the 2 tower speakers at 8.5" each, that is a total of 121.6". That leaves very little room for error. Would anyone who ownes said speakers be willing to measure the exact width (with or without feet installed) from a wall for me? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
850 Posts
In my opinion, you shouldgo with a smaller screen.

I have a wall the same width, but 110" screen and went with RF-82-ii. They are an inch wider. But the speakers have to be close to the wall, and people on the angles have the speaker sort of block the screen.

Here is a pic for you:

Imagine how much tighter that will be with 120" screen.

BTW, I installed the feet on the speakers backwards so they don't stick out to make them narrower. That helps a bit.

Good luck! It's all about compromises.

Reactions: wildside50

·
Registered
850 Posts
Is the whole room 122" wide?

For your reference my screen is about 96" wide without the frame. The frame adds 3.5" on each side, which is almost the width of a 120" screen.

Go with a smaller screen and stick with those speakers, but know that having the speakers so close to the side wall will negatively affect the sound (as you will prob have first reflection points on the walls).

Attachments

Reactions: wildside50

·
Registered
850 Posts
I also have the RF-82 II's and you also have to consider the inch on both sides that the back feet stick out so they can't be flat up against the wall
See my post above - these can be mounted without any modification "backwards" so the feet no longer stick out. That's what I did.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the whole room 122" wide?

For your reference my screen is about 96" wide without the frame. The frame adds 3.5" on each side, which is almost the width of a 120" screen.

Go with a smaller screen and stick with those speakers, but know that having the speakers so close to the side wall will negatively affect the sound (as you will prob have first reflection points on the walls).
Thanks for your input. The specific screen I want comes in 92, 100, 106, 110, and 120" sizes. I'll play with those sizes and some masking tape and see what looks best. I really just wanted to go that LITTLE bit bigger than 100" cause, ya know, I'm a dude. It is good to know those feet can be placed in the rear, but in truth I don't really want to place the speakers COMPLETELY flush with the wall; I know that is a bad idea. I just wanted to go big!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I taped out some screen sizes on the wall to see how it felt in real life. The outer area is the 120" screen -- I didn't even bother taping off the bottom of the screen because it is clearly just too low. The first full box is 110" screen. It fits, but again is pretty low. The inner box is 100" and is basically on target for distance from the bottom -- about 24". The little tick mark at the top row is 106".

It seems like 106" might be my reasonable max. The problem is I have a soffit to deal with that hangs down 1' from my 8' ceiling. So I'm essentially working with 7' ceilings. That limits how tall my screen can be a great deal it turns out.

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
How high is the bottom of the 110" screen? I think you could have it at 30" no problem.

I understand wanting to go as big as possible. Believe me. Keep in mind there will be a bezel too, and you don't want the speakers to cover the screen. Is the room that wide all the way back? Will people be sitting on edges at all? How far back will the seating be?

Honestly, you may want to look at some smaller speakers (i.e. not klipsch at all). Try to find some front ported speakers perhaps.

The DefTech STS are really expensive, but they are very slim and if I was in your position I might look at something like that. Not those in particular (and I love klipsch, so I don't want to steer you away unneccesarily) but check out some slim speakers. You might be happier in the long run. Maybe find a box about the size of your speakers and check out how it looks.

Given your picture above, I think you could mount the screen at 30" off the ground comfortably, though, as long as your PJ can throw the image there, and you could definitely fit some RF-62 ii. But you might be better off with front ported speakers.

The more testing you do now, before you buy everything, the happier you will be in the long run.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How high is the bottom of the 110" screen? I think you could have it at 30" no problem.

I understand wanting to go as big as possible. Believe me. Keep in mind there will be a bezel too, and you don't want the speakers to cover the screen. Is the room that wide all the way back? Will people be sitting on edges at all? How far back will the seating be?

Honestly, you may want to look at some smaller speakers (i.e. not klipsch at all). Try to find some front ported speakers perhaps.

The DefTech STS are really expensive, but they are very slim and if I was in your position I might look at something like that. Not those in particular (and I love klipsch, so I don't want to steer you away unneccesarily) but check out some slim speakers. You might be happier in the long run. Maybe find a box about the size of your speakers and check out how it looks.

Given your picture above, I think you could mount the screen at 30" off the ground comfortably, though, as long as your PJ can throw the image there, and you could definitely fit some RF-62 ii. But you might be better off with front ported speakers.

The more testing you do now, before you buy everything, the happier you will be in the long run.
This is technically of the whole house, but I think you can get the jist of the theater room. Technically it is one big 36'x11' hall. I have painted everything right of the beam red to represent the theater space. To the left is a separate (but open) video game space (with a Futon, a TV, all my classic gaming consoles etc). So the effected theater area is about 23x11.

I'm pretty settled on the Klipsch for a few reasons, so I'd rather shrink my screen a little to get them to fit than find thinner speakers. The problem with how low my screen ends up being is because I will be attaching my projector (Sony VPL-HW40ES) to a soffit that is located right above where I currently have the seating placed in that floor plan. It drops down 1' from the 8' ceiling and is about 3'6" long. I need to mount the projector to the very back of the soffit (so about 13' from the screen). I therefor can't really angle the image up any, as it is limited by that 3'6" run of soffit ceiling before opening back up to 8' high cieling. Unless, perhaps, if I mounted the projector low enough from the soffit such that I can angle the image up a touch, but now you're talking about a projector being at head-hitting level. It is a little awkward a space, unfortunately.

The way I have it in my masked out space, the 110" is about 20" from the ground.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts