AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started prepping my door, and will be putting furring strips and insulation on the door. Now I come to the problem of the door handle. I'd like to be able to put the door knob on top of the furring strips and fabric, but can't find a door knob that will do wide enough. My solid core door has another layer of 1/2 plywood GG'd to it, and then i'll be putting 1-1/2" furring strips on top of that, so 3-3/4" thick total. Any one with really thick doors have a solution?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I bought older hardware (50/60's) where the door handles use a set screw to mount the handles on a square connecting rod. The extra depth requires two rods welded together to give the needed depth. I've heard these rods can be welded and lengthened, but haven't tried to weld them yet. Plan B is to make a new rod.

Added a picture taken from a current ebay auction.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My set up has a piar of 1 3/4 solid core doors. I am controlling them with door closers and pull handles. Then I am adding an aluminum threshold and mounting a gasket system around the whole door to stop the sound from leaking out.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd /forum/post/12937010

I bought older hardware (50/60's) where the door handles use a set screw to mount the handles on a square connecting rod. The extra depth requires two rods welded together to give the needed depth. I've heard these rods can be welded and lengthened, but haven't tried to weld them yet. Plan B is to make a new rod.

Added a picture taken from a current ebay auction.

Is that a threaded rod? If so you may find your size at HD or Lowes...

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
It's not a round threaded rod... It's a square solid rod with threading on the corners and a flat spot per side, for the set screw to bite into. The knobs twist on, and then are locked in place by the set set. This gives a good amount of adjustment for various door thickness.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks tedd for the info, but i'm not too keen on those door knobs. i did end up calling schlage and just as dennis said, they wanted me to sell my kidney for a custom door knob. not really, but $600 for a door knob is too steep for me. still searching for a cheaper alternative.

eric

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I would make a longer rod myself if I were you. Just get the right size square rod, cut it to length and thread the end.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I have found that if you want to really compress the weatherstrip, you have little options other than a lockset that positively engages. Closers and catches are great, but will likely not provide enough pressure to properly compress the gasket material. This is important.

If anyone has pics of a modified rod through the door, you'd be doing us all a great service by posting. THat's really the best answer

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i wanted to bring this thread back as i found a solution to this problem using the door knobs like tedd mentioned. i'm at work right now but will post pics later tonight. i'm in the search for some knobs that i like (glass isn't cutting it), but it works and is wide enough.

eric

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wasn't able to get the pics taken last night, but tonight i will. i've found a knob set i like for the outside of the theater door, and will most likely DIY the interior side as i need a skinny backplate and just a flat black knob. here is the proposed set

1 - 12 of 12 Posts