AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading my 46" Hitachi RP from '92 with the newer version with a HDTV tuner called the 51HX93:

http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_19353.htm

It's not listed on the Toshiba site.

Any input on the 83 version?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi videobruce,

While I do not own the 51HX93, I am strongly considering it or the 51HX83 model.

Either is great, bu the 93 model gets you the builtin tuners as you know and fire wire ports.

If you can use the built-in tuners to pull in HDTV programming, I would say go for it, just make sure it is not encoded which would require a STB. I live south of Toronto and according to my cable company I would have to get one of their STBs to watch HDTV because their signal is encoded, and I don't have the luxury of OTA HDTV transmissions.

Do you know of any OTA programming in the Buffalo area?

One last thing, you can download the user manuals from the Toshiba site and scan through them. The HX93 model is not listed yet but the H93 is.

·
Registered
16,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the difference between the 'X' and non 'X' models?

CBS channel 4 has been in ATSC or HDTV if you perfer and now PBS channel 17 is!

·
Registered
39 Posts
The X models are the Cinema Series.

This series utilizes better more advanced CRT lenses. Gives a sharper more defined picture.

The outter screen is also different. You know how the Sony grand wega and higher end sony's have a black border framing the screen. It's also integrated into the protective anti-glare screen. The Cinema series has this same "sexy" look.

The non-X series is called the Theatrewide and just has the regular silver border framing the screen and it's not "flush" with the anti-glare screen.

Check out some pics online to see what I mean. Best if you can see it in person at a retail store though.

IMO I think the Cinema Series is worth the extra money. Just an overall better set, performance wise and looks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.