AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had a pronto tsu1000 for a couple years.....and unlike the vast majority, i am not totally satisfied.

my reasons:

probably due to my limited programming ability, it takes too long for common tasks. for example: change satellite channel (not just scroll up or down) requires me to change active device (2 taps...pull down menu for devices, and then DISH button); then i have to scroll to my page 2 of that device to access number pad. then after that i want to go back to change the surround mode on my processor......4-5 taps again.

like i said, i prob. did not program correctly (elegantly), but given that i have had it so long, i prob. never will. i basically copied in all my remotes, assigned the hard buttons...and made couple macros (which never seem to work consistently).

same with my dvd player...i find myself using its own remote all the time anyhow....guess i like the tactile feel.

here's what i want:

something like the TheaterMaster500...or then i heard about this new EZ Zapper and read the review on RemoteCentral.com. except for the lack of lighted buttons (how could they!!)...and that is a big drawback....it looks good.

any user opinions from this board??

thanks.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I have a Harmony (and a Pronto), it is a good remote, simple to setup, and easy to use. I don't know what I can add to Daniel's review. If you asked a more precise question I could try and answer it.

There are two things I found a nit annoying

- it uses three AAAs, and you can only get them in two or four packs, so you end-up with an extra battery that is useless (and you know the next time the batteries fail, you will not know what you did with that extra battery), also I have a charger for my Pronto (3 years), so I have lost the patients of thinking of batteries :)

- that the TV listings need refreshing at the worst possible time. and at least once a week (but hen again I love the listings and I understand that it cannot magically be updated :))

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Anthony. i've done some more research.

given the negatives i've read about setting up the Zapper, i'm afraid it will suffer the same fate as my pronto. in addition, the lighted buttons are important to me.

come to think about it...a LOT of buttons are what i need! a lot of lighted buttons! i will prob. get the MX500....unless i cheapskate out and get the SL9000 Theatermaster. i've seen the mx500 for $125 or so on the web. seems like i can't go wrong.

what's a pronto1000 worth?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If you want programmability steer clear of the EZ. The company has NOT been forthcomming about documentation and I feel the unit is being soley targeted twards people that only use the website.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
snow....

you think they are developing an installed base, and then will charge a fee for program updates?

i'm going with the mx500. seems like everyone (at least all the tactile people!) are very happy with it, except for the tempermental joystick button.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.