AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question if anyone can please answer this.

If you are running dual monitors and the denon avr is not on the input connected to your pc, does CCC still see the denon avr connection?

Even when its not on the input from your pc?

I have a denon video processor and it keeps a constant connection to my video card, it see's its connected to it even when im not on the proper input. This is causing me some issues.

Every other device i have used terminates the hdmi connection when you switch inputs.

Could anyone please tell me with a denon avr if your ati video card see's the avr connection even when your not on the proper input.

This answer would be highly appreciated as im looking to dish out 800 for a new denon avr.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a Samsung plasma connected to a Denon AVR-1911 which is connected up to an ATI card via HDMI along with another monitor connected via DVI. This appears to be "normal" behavior. Changing inputs has no effect: the computer always sees the plasma tv as on assuming the tv is actually on. This has created an entire host of issues for me, such as moving icons and toolbars, monitor going to sleep when tv is turned off, and a few other things.

I finally have it functioning well. What are your specific problems? Perhaps I can help.

-Todd

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the reply.

The big one is that when my wife uses the monitor and I switch inputs, or even using source direct on my satellite and changing channels, when the resolution changes, the denon also needs a few seconds to recognize the new resolution and sync, and it cuts out the monitor as well. As you can imagine this can be a nightmare when your channel surfing.

Its very annoying.

Another problem is with my old monoprice or hdmi switch, i could set my ati card to default sound output. When not on the proper input sound would default to my desktop speaker/headphones, when i did select the proper input it switched to the video card/avr sound output. Perfect.

Not so anymore, since it see's the denon all the time it will never switch.

Is this denon specific? That will be my last question>?

Anyone with their pc connected to onkyo?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Based on my experience (which is using Win7 64bit and a Radeon HD 5570), it seems that automatic monitor detection in the Windows operating system is "seeing" a change in the HDMI-connected device and trys to re-detect everything. In the process, it can put the monitor to sleep, and/or re-arrange icons and toolbars onto the incorrect monitor. Your problem is slightly different and may be due to having the HDMI switch in the mix.

You may want to try an EDID override for the Denon/TV combo you have. There is a thread on here where you can get that info. I tried it and it corrected an issue I had with bitstreaming, but not my monitor sleep issue.

To correct my monitor sleep issue, I had to add another video card to my computer and connect the HDMI to that one. I keep the monitor attached to the card in the primary slot, and the HDMI connected receiver to the card in the secondary slot.

Regarding sound output, I have to always manually switch it between HDMI and computer speakes in Win7 control panel. No automatic switching. There are some people who have generated hotkey's to do this, but my read on this is they are all a little buggy.

On your last question, you can see from the EDID override thread that Denon, Onkyo, and Sony seem to be the problem children.

One other idea that might help is to use the Geffen HDMI Detective, which from my read seems to fix a lot of these problems by maintaining a constant fixed signal from AVR to computer regardless of what is happening on the AVR side.

It's ridiculous - so much of this technology is still half-baked. And I thought Windows 7 was MY idea!

·
Registered
82 Posts
What operating system are you using? I have my HTPC connected to a Denon AVR-3806 with HDMI from an ATI Radeon HD 4850. My HTPC case is a Zalman with built-in 7" touch screen, that's connected via DVI. I remember when I did the first round with my HTPC and I used Windows XP, I ran into that same problem. I know there was a workaround. It might've even been solved by a newer ATI driver. I later rebuilt my HTPC with Windows 7 and a new video card...never had that issue again, no workarounds/tweaks needed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My HTPC is connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR-3806 which is connected via HDMI to my Hitachi 55" plasma (primary monitor). The 7" touch-screen is connected via DVI to the HTPC, and is set up as an extended desktop. The monitors are not displaying the same desktop.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just remembered what it was. My first HTPC build I used an ATI Radeon HD 38xx card. If I turned on the HTPC and the receiver wasn't on, it wouldn't detect the HDMI signal and so the 7" touchscreen would become the primary monitor. Then I'd have to mess around to switch the primary/secondary monitors in the display settings. I made that mistake a couple times :/ I also had some miscellaneous audio issues. So, when the ATI Radeon HD 4xxx series came out, I still had some nagging problems so I bought a 4850 on a whim. All my problems went away, and I know I hadn't upgraded to Windows 7 yet. I was using Vista before and after. Windows 7 resolved a completely different set of issues for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have CW03 and ATI 5x graphic card with my HTPC.

1. When I use HDMI from graphic card to my receiver, I have the problem screen resolution. When I turn off TV or receiver, the touchscreen becomes the primary monitor and it switches to 1920:1080 resolution and Imon becomes out of work.

2. I have to connect HDMI directly to TV and use spdif from onboard sound to my receiver then I don't have the problem above. However, with this approach, I can't get the passthrough for DTS-HD or any 8 channels bit-stream.

Is there any solution for this? I am using windows7 professional 64bit.

Thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
A GenFen HDMI Detective should fix this problem. Unfortunately, it's not cheap; but, for those that break down and buy them, it's typically the end of these crazy HDMI issues. Basically, the HDMI detective makes it look like the AVR is always there; when you power it off, there should be no change at all in what Windows is seeing/doing with your screens (just like VGA used to be, for example).

It's a really stupid defeat that shouldn't be necessary.

You can also try disabling the "ATI External Events" (or "AMD External Events") service in Windows, that MAY resolve the problem for you. Same idea; with it disabled, the video card shouldn't be able to get updates about the monitor status. An EDID override shouldn't be necessary (in this case), but it never hurts, you may want to try that as well.

However, I have a feeling, if disabling the service doesn't work, you might as well just get out the checkbook and call up GenFen.
Make sure you thank the DMCA and movie companies on your way over there to spend a bunch of money on something that's totally unnecessary save for HDCP. You know, that "secure method" of transmitting digital signals that's caused many of us HTPC owners countless hours/days of time trying to work around.. That secure method that just had it's master keys leaked, and will never be an effective protection method ever again..

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'd try and EDID override first (because it's free), but don't hold much hope in that working. If it does not, then.. Yes, you probably need the GenFen.

You can get an older version (DVI Detective) from Ebay for a LOT less. You'll need 2 DVI to HDMI cables, and, if it's a regular DVI Detective (and not the "DVI Detective Plus") it can't do HDCP (so you can't play commercial BluRay disks without ripping them first or using AnyDVDHD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyandt /forum/post/19758113

Disable ATI external events doesn't work for me ...

So 100 bucks for the GenFen ?????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts