AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am sound editing (and doing a temporary mix) for a thesis film at Ithaca College. I have mixed some VERY low frequency explosions as par the directors request. They range from 10-100 hz, centering around 20-40hz. Unfortunately I do not have access to great subs here so I am at a loss to what my tracks REALLY sound like on a system capable of deep extension. I would love for some feed back on what you think of the sounds.

The scene is a shot of earth from space with nuclear explosions happening on earth. The sample track is one explosion that rolls on and another smaller one during the end of the roll.
If there is some interest in this i will post further (better) edits with synced picture.

WAV file can be found here,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B15BxWjR7AFbUGVqeURQMWV3M1U/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, I played back the file with a SVS PB13 Ultra tuned @16hZ.

The file plays like a rumble, rather than an explosion. Just like how an earthquake sounds

An explosion, will contain a variety of frequencies/sounds.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just saw the description of the scene. I guess that would work, since the distance between the actual explosion and the viewer is big, so it could sound like an explosion far away.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input!
@Surfdrifter, yes the feeling we are going for is quite yet tactile, so all low frequencies. In reality you wouldnt hear it at all because the shot is from sapce, however, in the movie world anything goes haha.

UPDATE: I just uploaded a new edit, a bit more defined impacts, less monotonous rumble. also, this one has VIDEO so yall can see what your hearing.

https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...hVTkVCbGtNZTh5UTZlb3pMNTFaczNZUFNTb3FMTWR3aTA

One specific question. Do you like the delay of seeing the explosion then hearing? or na?

·
Registered
247 Posts
thanks for the input!
@Surfdrifter, yes the feeling we are going for is quite yet tactile, so all low frequencies. In reality you wouldnt hear it at all because the shot is from sapce, however, in the movie world anything goes haha.

UPDATE: I just uploaded a new edit, a bit more defined impacts, less monotonous rumble. also, this one has VIDEO so yall can see what your hearing.

https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...hVTkVCbGtNZTh5UTZlb3pMNTFaczNZUFNTb3FMTWR3aTA

One specific question. Do you like the delay of seeing the explosion then hearing? or na?
I really like the delay, since it prepares you for the inevitable, just like when you see the thunder on the sky and anxiously waiting for the sound to come! (even though, in real life, it would need many-many seconds to reach the viewer :D )

Now, we come to subjective territory.

1) When I hear the first explosion, it coincides with a flare effect on the right of the screen which distracted me for a while. Not important, but when you see it, you cannot unsee it, like Christian Bale's eye-wart

2) The second explosion sounds tighter but in the video looks longer (to me). Also, the second explosion, whilst there is a bright light that indicates an explosion, the sound is heard at the propagation of the outward circles (sorrym english is not my native language, so I don't know if I explained it right), which creates the feeling that the sound of the second explosion is heard in sync with the video.

3) I missed the second explosion the first time. Maybe because I was distracted at the flare I mentioned before? I don't know.

Hope, these help!

·
Registered
273 Posts
The link didn't work for me either so I downloaded it to play it.

You could make two changes to the audio to make it sound better:
1) Make the delay for the second explosion take longer than the first explosions delay. The second explosion is further away so I'm expecting it to take longer.
2) The first explosion has most of it's energy occurring at a lower frequency than what the second explosion produces, but this is backwards. You should swap them around.
Everybody knows that thunder rumbles deeper and longer when it comes from a distance that's further away.

You probably don't have any control over the video portion, but I too found it hard to locate the second explosion, even after repeated plays.
Maybe you could mention to the video guys that they should darken the suns reflection off the earths clouds a little and make the center of the explosions to be almost blueish-white in comparison.
The surface of the sun only has a temperature of ~6500 Kelvin, whereas an atomic blast reaches over a million Kelvin. (blue is a hotter colour) That would make both explosions easier to spot.

Good luck with your project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts