Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

this is my first post so bear with me a bit.

We're in the process of building a new house and I've been quite enamored with DLP technology so I decided to start with an X1 and no screen at the beginning and then getting probably a Da lite HCCV.

My question is, with 2.5 and 4 year olds with VERY sticky fingers, is a pull-down screen a better option for me? The projector with be hang from the ceiling (9 foot ceiling) about 14 feet back.

Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
222 Posts
from my experience kids and screens don't mix. i opted for a pull down for this reason, however if you can position a fixed screen out of reach and you have the wall space, imo, fixed is the way to go....just to eliminate any chance of waves.

btw - you may want to consider the problems people have been havings with the hccv material and waves. many on this forum, including me, have opted for the Dalite High Power.

Good luck, enjoy and keep this forum as a bookmark on your pc as it is the best place for information...bar none.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks seabird,

I'll check out the high gain Dalite screen too. I won't be buying a screen any time soon so I'll have plenty of time to educate my self in this fantastic forum.

Thanks again,:cool:

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I think you will be happier with a wall screen even though the children might be a problem. You have two choices, sell them like I did, or teach them not to touch it. By the way, I was kidding about selling them, I just gave them away for free. Actually, I taught them to respect my stuff from an early age. Works for some kids not for others. I got lucky

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
I think you will be happier with a wall screen even though the children might be a problem. You have two choices, sell them like I did, or teach them not to touch it. By the way, I was kidding about selling them, I just gave them away for free. Actually, I taught them to respect my stuff from an early age. Works for some kids not for others. I got lucky
Daniel,

Thanks for your response. Hey, what are you gonna do, kids are curious and HAVE to touch everything. My wife and I are tirelessly trying to teach them manners, good habits etc. etc. We're doing pretty well but, you know, once in a while, the you know what hits the fan. I would hate to have a $2000 screen destroyed...

By the way, I don't what's your projection of choice but I'll be buying an Infocus Screenplay 7200 and I'm also considering, at a later stage, either a Stewart Firehawk or a Dalite hi Power. Any suggestions?

Andreas

·
Registered
820 Posts
You guys think kids are bad, how about a drooling Saint Bernard? I'm looking into this issue as well... I'm thinking of putting up attractive curtains that can cover accross the screen when not in use.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I've read so far, I think I'll go with the fixed screen for a few reasons. I imagine that a fixed screen would be cheaper than the pulldown. Is that correct?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrikos
From what I've read so far, I think I'll go with the fixed screen for a few reasons. I imagine that a fixed screen would be cheaper than the pulldown. Is that correct?
Fixed screens (especially nice ones with velour covered frames) are a lot more expensive than untensioned pull-downs, although the later will suffer from ripples to some degree so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Stewart makes a tab-tensioned pull-down, and draper has a tab-tensioned manual crank screen. No idea how the prices on those compare, although Jason @ avscience will give you competitive quotes.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Quote:
My question is, with 2.5 and 4 year olds with VERY sticky fingers, is a pull-down screen a better option for me?

Sounds like an investment in hand soap would be a better option to begin with... :D

Steve

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm... Hand soap eh?

Who woulda thunk it...

Seriously though, if you have two kids close in age (~15months) your cleaning efforts increase exponentially compared to having a kid at a time...

It's good to hear that the Dalite hi power is washable, is the Stewart Firehawk washable too?

I think I'm leaning towards a fixed screen even if it's probably more expensive.

I visit the manufacturers websites and I get so confused with all the options (I'm a newbie in the FP/screen area).

(1) I think I know what the aspect ratio will be: 16:9 (mostly DVD's, HDTV at a later stage, OTA, Tucson only has one HDTV channel (PBS)...bummer... I'm not going to get satellite TV or watch regular TV on it. I want to save this cool system for special times.

(2) size: 100" diagonal or less (maybe 92") because my family room width will be only 16'6" and I hear that 2X(screen size) is the "recommended" viewing distance.

(3) Fixed. This is where it gets murky.... I don't understand all the Dalite/Stewart lingo... cinema contour? Da snap? Imager? masking systems?

mama!

I guess Cinema contour... and then there's the surfaces... I read in other sites that DLP systems (Infocus Screenplay 7200) go well with HCCV. And then I read here about all kinds of problems HCCV has and that Hi power is superior... oh boy...

Stewart is not any better really...

luxus screenwall, luxus deluxe screenwall etc. etc.

I know firehawk is the fabric of choice but not much else is clear...

choices, choices, choices...

Or...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm... Hand soap eh?

Who woulda thunk it...

Seriously though, if you have two kids close in age (~15months) your cleaning efforts increase exponentially compared to having a kid at a time...

It's good to hear that the Dalite hi power is washable, is the Stewart Firehawk washable too?

I think I'm leaning towards a fixed screen even if it's probably more expensive.

I visit the manufacturers websites and I get so confused with all the options (I'm a newbie in the FP/screen area).

(1) I think I know what the aspect ratio will be: 16:9 (mostly DVD's, HDTV at a later stage, OTA, Tucson only has one HDTV channel (PBS)...bummer... I'm not going to get satellite TV or watch regular TV on it. I want to save this cool system for special times.

(2) size: 100" diagonal or less (maybe 92") because my family room width will be only 16'6" and I hear that 2X(screen size) is the "recommended" viewing distance.

(3) Fixed. This is where it gets murky.... I don't understand all the Dalite/Stewart lingo... cinema contour? Da snap? Imager? masking systems?

mama!

I guess Cinema contour... and then there's the surfaces... I read in other sites that DLP systems (Infocus Screenplay 7200) go well with HCCV. And then I read here about all kinds of problems HCCV has and that Hi power is superior... oh boy...

Stewart is not any better really...

luxus screenwall, luxus deluxe screenwall etc. etc.

I know firehawk is the fabric of choice but not much else is clear...

choices, choices, choices...

Or...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Front Projection!

Here's another suggestion you might want to look into - Parkland Plastics screen. It's not a high-gain screen (flat white), so you'll get best results if it is used in a completely-darkened room. I think it reflects a picture as good as most other white screens, and the best part - it's cheap. $70 will get you a 5'x10' piece. Oh yeah, it's also washable.

Do a search on "Parkland" in the Screens forum - there's lots of info there.

Steve

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool,

thanks Steve, I look into it...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Children are the exact reason why I have a Parkland screen at this time. Very durable and a good picture.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks daveP,

Does the parkland screen pass the WAF test too (wife acceptance factor)?

If so, I think we have a winner for cheap! :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think the fact that it cost about $800 less than the next competitive screen is going to be acceptance enough! :)

Please do not underestimate my statement about how you will be viewing your projected material - if you are planning on using this for television, sporting events, or basically anything that you might have ambient lighting with (windows, table lamps, etc.), this type of screen (unity gain) may not be the right one for you.

I have cove lighting installed in my HT which produces a very dim ambient glow in the room when there are no other lights on at all. The addition of this lighting makes a noticeable difference in the black levels of the picture when they are on. Is it still watchable? Yes - very much so. Does having no lighting on at all make a much better picture? Yes - very much so.

Steve

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am just like Daniel and was able to train the kids not to touch Daddy's toys. That was right after the tonearm on my turntable was bent. That was also the last time one of Daddy's toys was touched. Expensive lesson for me!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I have a just-turned-5 year old and and for that reason opted for the pulldown (that and so we can see the TV when we aren't using the PJ).

Dalite Hipower 120" diagonal - actually arrived completely intact, clean and is pretty flat and wavefree after almost 7 months of use. Others have had problems with the same screen, but it is possible to have a trouble free setup with this.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My wife likes the screen. Her only concern was that is be finished out nicely.

I have just located some 5x5 9 layer laminated ply-wood to use a backing. It will provide me a 5x10 screen with only one joint, in the middle where I would reinforce the frame anyway. The wood is a baltic birch (aka Russian birch) and runs ~$20 per sheet. It is made for cabinets and will provide a very flat stable surface for the screen.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
daveP:

I've heard of people attaching their PP screens on a 2" foam sheet. It comes in 4x8 sheets at ~$20(? not sure about this). Anyway the idea is to have a light and stable surface. They seem to like it, so that might be an option.

Brandon B:

I'll be getting the Infocus 7200 so 120" maybe a stretch. I'll probably go for a 100" or less 16:9 screen. Other than that though what's the idea with model B, C etc? How did you choose your screen and how much did it cost if you don't mind telling us... :)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yikes!

After reading TSO's thread about a hi power natural dissolver (saliva!).

I'm definitely going the pulldown way. I cannot bear to live with the stress associated with kids and screens...

I'm leaning towards the 105.xx" diag 16:9 Model B Hi Power with CSR. Or maybe model C, I'm not sure. Other than thicker masking borders what other advantages does C have over B?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.