AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 360 RROD a few weeks ago, and I have a PRP from Best Buy. I was waiting for the price drops to take it back but as the Geek Squad employee informed me they would only give me a swap and not the swap +$50 credit. So now the announcement of the 60GB coming next month which will be $350 (what I paid for my 360).

Now, will they give me a swap for the 60GB or will they force me to get the 20GB?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm sure if they still have the 20GB in stock, they'll give you one of those. If the 20 GBs are all gone by then, you will probably get the 60GB since it will essentially be the replacement for the 20GB.

So go tell all your friends to buy up the remaining 20s.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I don't work at BB or any competitor, but do you really think that they would give you anything other than the product you bought *as long as they have it in stock*?

Costco you could probably game but everybody else will give you the exact same product you bought, regardless of price/configuration adjustments (unless you're within the price match window).

So, unless the thing died with a month of purchase your only hope to game them is to sit and wait, XBOXless, until your PRP or the stock of 20GB Pros runs out, whichever comes first.

Edit: +1 What Darth said; get your friends and relatives to dry up the 20GBs ASAP...

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well like you said, I would be within the price match window. However after looking at their website I saw this:

Quote:
We don't fix it—we replace it

We give you a Best Buy gift card so you can choose your own product replacement. If you purchased the item in store, you can file a claim online. For all online purchases call 1-888-539-6883.

Full Replacement

You get comprehensive coverage, with no deductibles or other hidden charges. If your product is found defective under normal usage, we will provide for a replacement.

So I'm wondering if I file the claim online they'll send me a gift card? I also heard of people taking their RROD Premiums and getting Elites when they first came out by just paying the difference.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 /forum/post/14284151

My 360 RROD a few weeks ago, and I have a PRP from Best Buy. I was waiting for the price drops to take it back but as the Geek Squad employee informed me they would only give me a swap and not the swap +$50 credit. So now the announcement of the 60GB coming next month which will be $350 (what I paid for my 360).

Now, will they give me a swap for the 60GB or will they force me to get the 20GB?

I don't believe that to be true.I just replaced my 360 last week with a PRP and I was given the $50 credit difference between what I originally paid($399) and the current 20gb price($349).The $50 balance was used on a new PRP.Kinda sucks that it has to be used on that instead of a 360 game but I have zero confidence in 360 hardware a the moment.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
If you read the paperwork of the PRP, you'll see they're not even supposed to do in-store swaps. If you ask them to break the rules, you can't complain if they don't upgrade your unit. If you'd like to get the full value of the unit, then follow the instructions and call the 800 number. They'll send you a box in the mail that you can use to mail back your 360. A few weeks later you'll get a check for $350 plus tax. If you want an instant switch, don't complain that they give you the same unit.

EDIT: This was in my browser for a few minutes before you responded. You might be the first person on the forum that ever actually read the rules.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I try to read the rules first before posting but theirs seem to be subjective and each store/customer is different. Since the new units are not coming out for a month and luckily I'm using someone's spare 360, I have no problems waiting. I'll probably mail it away and try to get my full refund. If I'm going to take it back I might as well get a newer unit. I have no problem waiting.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I think they've slackened the policy regarding instore swaps because of the 360's track record.I can only say that when I went into Bestbuy last week,there was no hesitation to do a swap right then and there.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
They will swap you out with a 20gig if available. If the 60gig is available and no more 20gig then you will get the 60gig. Case closed.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
i got a prp on an ipod i bought quite a few years back... the ipod crapped out, and at the time, the similarly priced model happened to have more than double the storage space... they swapped me out, no issues.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've found that with many stores, you can get wildly varying effects with different CSR. So if you don't like the response one day, go to another store, or show up at a different time.

For example, I had a CostoCo account with my family's company, based in another state. One rep said I could not get a card on the family's account because I had to have a driver's license from the state that the company was in, which wasn't something I had ever heard about. I walked outside the store, called mom and she had explicitly asked the CSR in her store, who said this wouldn't be a problem. Went back into the store 5 minutes later, got the rep who worked directly besides the original lady... there was absolutely no issue or even question this time.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I picked up my original 360pro with 2yr PRP from Best Buy. It RROD on me and I brought it to the original store. They said they would be giving me an original price credit towards another 360, and just my luck the elite came out not too long after. I, after some hustle n flow
, got an elite for $50 new

They didn't want to do it but I made my case and stuck to it, got a manager involved and even though she wasn't happy about it she knew I was right.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well after all this I'm screwed anyway. I found my PRP paperwork this morning and to my horror discovered I only had a 2 year PRP which means it's 3 months expired.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 360 was giving a lower right red flash and the e74 error last week. I was going to bring it in Best Buy then heard of the price drop. So I held off, sure enough Sunday the 20gig is down to $299. I head in to the store, fill out the paper work and she says to wait as they test it.

Few minutes later she comes back and says that they need my power supply as the newer models use a different one. I go back to my house and grab what I need.

When I return she tests it out and sure enough the red light. She scans the original one and its $399, Which is what I paid for about 1 year ago. She then offers me another PRP which i take for $40. Apparently when i replaced my 1st one the PRP went back up to $60.

So at the end of the day I got a newer 360 with HDMI, a PRP and a gift card for $60.01. Not too shabby

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow /forum/post/14292166

Isn't the RROD now a 3-year warranty? So you'll just have to work with MS.

Yep, just called BB support and that's what they told me. It's still under MS warranty. How does this work? I guess I'll get the same console back? Was hoping to step up to HDMI but I guess not now.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 /forum/post/14293121

Yep, just called BB support and that's what they told me. It's still under MS warranty. How does this work? I guess I'll get the same console back? Was hoping to step up to HDMI but I guess not now.

If you registered your 360 with MS, you can do it thru their website ( http://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx ), otherwise call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and follow the prompts. You'll most likely only need to send in the console (not the hard drive or power supply).

Either way, if my experience is anything to go by, MS with either repair your unit or replace it with an equivalent model. My Arcade model unit RROD'd last February; I had purchased it before the HDMI models became available. After sending it in to MS, they were unable to repair it so they instead replaced it with an even older 360 that had been refurbished (the original had a build date of March 2007; the replacement had January 2006). I ended up selling it to a friend and buying myself an Elite.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 /forum/post/14293121

Wait a minute. You bought a 2 year replacement plan. They have to honor t the plan. Doesn't matter that they offer the RROD warranty or not. You paid to be covered locally through them otherwise they need to refund your money for buying a 2 year PRP in the first place. I would take it straight to the store and do a replacement since you have the PRP. If you really want to get it through MS then you need to go to BB and get a refund of the remaing months you had left on the replacement plan.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsydmind /forum/post/14292565

My 360 was giving a lower right red flash and the e74 error last week. I was going to bring it in Best Buy then heard of the price drop. So I held off, sure enough Sunday the 20gig is down to $299. I head in to the store, fill out the paper work and she says to wait as they test it.

Few minutes later she comes back and says that they need my power supply as the newer models use a different one. I go back to my house and grab what I need.

When I return she tests it out and sure enough the red light. She scans the original one and its $399, Which is what I paid for about 1 year ago. She then offers me another PRP which i take for $40. Apparently when i replaced my 1st one the PRP went back up to $60.

So at the end of the day I got a newer 360 with HDMI, a PRP and a gift card for $60.01. Not too shabby

They actually tested it? Wow, my friend's 360 was giving him intermittent HDD errors, and our local Best Buy just took his console (no questions asked) and gave him a gift card for the original price paid. That was after the first $50 price drop, so he ended up with a little extra credit afterward to boot. Surprising how much things vary from store to store (and probably from day to day at the same store)!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts