AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search for this, but no luck--Dish tech support hasn't owned up to a bug, but something very strange is going on here.

Is any other 501 user seeing this?

The 501 PVR is about 4 months old and last week it just filled up for the first time (i.e., I had about 28-30 hours of programming stored). In the middle of recording a show, it popped up an error dialog box noting the drive was almost full and asking me to (manually) erase some programming to free up space. I did so and blew away about 20 hours of shows. Which should have freed up about 20 hours on the drive, no?

No! With only 10.5 hours of programming stored by my count, the "counter" on the PVR screen showed only 10 hours of free space. Last night, the 501 again gave me the error screen that I was full, so I blew away about 10 hours of programs. Now it says I only have 5 hours of free space--aighh!

Poltergeists have possessed my 501. It went from a 30 hour recorder to a 20 hour recorder to a 15 hour recorder. Can anyone perform an exorcism?

As an aside, can Dish just go ahead and buy Tivo and get a real PVR interface? As a former Tivo guy trying to live with a 501, it's painful to deal with the lack of thought/foresight in the 501 UI. Popping an error code up in the middle of recording and forcing me to manually delete shows?!? Why have a "protect" flag on shows if the PVR doesn't handle cleanup automatically?

Am I just a moron and have something set wrong? Or is the 501 PVR code nuttier than Chinese chicken salad?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Two possibilities:

(1) The less likely possibility is that your remaining recordings are PPV, Premium Channel movies or sports programming, all of which have higher bitrates, and the programming you deleted was low bitrate programming like news, etc.

(2) The more likely possibility is that you have hard disk corruption. In this case, you need to do a "hard disk reinitialization", which will delete all your recordings.

So, if you want to try that, you'll need to watch and/or archive to tape everything on the hard disk.

If you can't find the instructions for the hard disk reinit by searching the forum, then email and I'll send it to you.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KStuart...thanks. I just realized that the Dish forum was probably a better place to post this--I will search for the reinit info. I also have Father O'Brian coming over later this week with a gallon of holy water, just in case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.