AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My remote just died. I tried all the suggestions in the FAQ. I can still control the TV and VCR but not the Showstopper. Is Panasonic doing anything to improve their remotes?

I happened to read an epinions.com review of ReplayTV while searching for solutions to my remote woes, and one guy said that a customer service rep actually said that if you don't push the replay button immediately after replacing the batteries, your remote will never work again. Is this true?

So now I have to ship my dead remote back to Panasonic in order to get a new one. Any RCA or Sony programmable remotes include the quickskip and instant replay functions yet?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Aw come on now Eric... aren't you up for the jp1?
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1

This will totally fix it and for less than the price to ship back. Far more fun :rolleyes: :eek: you can even do all kinds of fancy things and you'll even be ready if this happens again.

Edit: the jp1 directly reprograms the showstopper/replay remote as well as many others!! Ask yourself: Do I have a PC? Can I twist six wires together? Can I read the back of a box of cereal? If you answered yes you are a candidate for this!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sounds like bull to me ( about pressing buttons after battery change), but you can get a new remote from ebay (about 25$) or hunt down RS 19-1554 and make a JP1 cable, to program it through computer. I used and liked Sony VL900 and it is great (learns all the necessary buttons) but is not as versatile as RadioShack's one (it also doens' t have a backlight and is a little heavy).

·
Registered
502 Posts
My original remote is not even being use. Put it in a drawer. My 1594 is much better with custom programming via the JP1 interface. Example to do a net connect, I push one button on the remote, that's it.

But, you have to have Excel with the required plugins to generate the text files required for the IR program. And I have to admit reading how to do it, making the interface, and figuring out exactly how I wanted to program the remote took me about 3 days.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the steps under restoring Replay codes with no luck. I didn't try the disabling Replay codes step first though...

Unfortunately, (or fortunately depending on your perspective), I impulsivly ran out and bought a Radio Shack 15-2104 remote at lunch after reading some posts by Robman and visiting his site.

Figures the 15-2104 is the only remote that is not on sale right now. But still cheaper than a lot of other remotes. Well, if I can control my Showstopper and all my other components with one cool, upgradeable remote, then it's worth it in my book.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to follow up. I got my 15-2104 set up last night. It is very cool to have one remote that I can control everything with. The ability to program advanced codes and assign them to unused buttons allows you to have all the functionality of the original ReplayTV remote. I may not even bother mailing in my old remote to Panasonic now.

Now I have to check out this JP1 hack that everyone's been lauding...

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
If you decide against repairing your Replay remote, can I have it?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
It seems to me that given the price of the box, the remote should be a work of art. I would love to see a Pronto or other cool remote be shipped standard with them.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amazingly Smooth
It seems to me that given the price of the box, the remote should be a work of art. I would love to see a Pronto or other cool remote be shipped standard with them.

Cheers
I was disappointed that Replay cheaped out and shipped the Catalyst34 remote with their units, for an extra dollar they could have selected the Catalyst48, which is an 8 device remote with optional macro and learning ability. It's not unlike the popular 15-1994. Of course, they have taken a step back with the 4000 remote as it only controls one extra device, your TV.

Now wouldn't it be great if Replay shipped with a 15-1994!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Rob do you mind if I defend the choice of the Catalyst34? While I will never understand how they got the chan and vol rockers reversed (fixed with jp1 and 2 little snips of electrical tape) it is still more ergonomic than the 48. I used to pine away over that picture on the UIEC site but after getting a 48 in my hands... nice but not 1994 and a little awkward compared to the 34. The only thing I will say about the Kenwood RC-RO720 is that it's visually attractive enough I could have jammed the codes into it (still no extender) and sold it to that guy for $500 (half of another 4000) And I do have a Kenwood 507 in the garage not hooked up @ the moment which I bought just for the Catalyst48 remote!! (I do have future plans for the reciever btw and anyway it would probably cost me $200 to Fedex to the windy city although you certainly would deserve it -- if you even had room for it!!)
Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman

Now wouldn't it be great if Replay shipped with a 15-1994!
That would be the best: an ordinary 15-1994 with the new replay logo screened in place of the ratshack lettering! And I don't think this will be as hard as I thought?? Hmmm... What could we sell these for? I don't have a "large" supply of classic '94's, u? Whoops I mean what donation err... nevermind since we couldn't legally sell a single one... but what a prize to behold.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
The Cat48 isn't a fantastic remote, but it's pretty similar to the Cat34, as far as button layout goes, etc. I don't like the pad of buttons at the bottom of either remote, especially when some of the buttons are ones that you want to use all the time, like DISPLAY and EXIT.

Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
And I do have a Kenwood 507 in the garage not hooked up @ the moment which I bought just for the Catalyst48 remote!!
Do any of your Cat48s have the learning option turned on? If you open these remotes up there's a spot for an electrical component which is missing if the remote doesn't support learning, and it's present if the remote does support learning. the Cat48 that I have goes with the Outlaw Audio receiver and it doesn't support learning. I'd love to put a hack page together which tells people how they can modify these remotes.

Quote:
I don't have a "large" supply of classic '94's, u?
I have the main one that I've been using for ages. I did buy a few extra a while back but they have all been distubuted to friends or sold now. When they announced it was being discontinued I bought the last three from my local RS, just to keep as spares.

Quote:
Whoops I mean what donation err... nevermind since we couldn't legally sell a single one... but what a prize to behold.
Why couldn't we sell them, people sell used remotes on ebay all the time. In fact there's quite a few people using my JP1 stuff to re-program remotes and sell them. I've actually stockpiled a bunch of Cinema 7's that I've been intending to re-program and sell, I've just never made the time to re-program them!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Do any of your Cat48s have the learning option turned on? If you open these remotes up there's a spot for an electrical component which is missing if the remote doesn't support learning, and it's present if the remote does support learning. the Cat48 that I have goes with the Outlaw Audio receiver and it doesn't support learning. I'd love to put a hack page together which tells people how they can modify these remotes.
Nope I do need to hack that piece on then maybe I'd like it but still no backlight and doesn't fit in my hand as well. But that would certainly be fun to do. I only have 3 backup 1994 spares too I bought the last ones at every store for 50 miles. Of course mine are cloned and stationed at every "viewing" and theatre setup. I think I said in some other post I don't actually use the cat34's just play with them. For some this is all they use can you remember the day? No wonder they wear out that select button! Actually before that I had everything scrunched onto an RCU810 and had to calculate the last 25 learning buttons manually those were not the days! But @ least everything I could use was mostly built into the thing. I used to spend hundreds on learning remotes and I should note I never could get used to omni-remote (omni-remote could never get used to me!!) And I need a keyboard to use a palm pilot some geek I am.

Quote:
Why couldn't we sell them, people sell used remotes on ebay all the time. In fact there's quite a few people using my JP1 stuff to re-program remotes and sell them. I've actually stockpiled a bunch of Cinema 7's that I've been intending to re-program and sell, I've just never made the time to re-program them!
All I meant by this is we can't sell them (1994's)with the Replay trademark stenciled on it. When we haven't the rights to do that. But that is my whole point. I don't have time to hack them for the masses and besides that's something fun the initiated should do for themselves... just so they can adapt to their own needs. But my issue only comes up with this other niche market. Sometimes I run with these fowkes who turn their nose up and wouldn't be caught dead in some tacky low class joint like the RShack. So they might even try to persuade me to do their dirty work and hook them up with something from there if they really need it when and their gaggle of consultants and assistants and various other paid yes people can't figure it out. Well these people have home theater needs too just like everyone and you can't always just pay more money to get it right. Takes someone with modicum of sense and who cares to tweak it into function for those who can't even program a VCR but don't want their guests to notice this fact. So there is an art to making it easy for them and make sure no one else knows their favorite remote was only $39 (by picking it up and just reading on the front of it). Ya catch my drift now? Any way Rob I can't thank you enough for your enthusiastic hard work. BTW back on topic a bit Replay TV is for those in the know and Tivo is the tacky one!! But I'm practical not proud and I have both. My tivo is hidden from view in the basement and the remote functions were all mapped out to emulate replay transport so who's to know my secret indulgence TIVO!! Psst. don't tell.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rob,

If you want anymore 1994's there were a few left at local Radio Shacks where I am. I think they are on clearance for like $14.99 or something. If you are interested I could look into buying them for you.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ErictheConsumer
Rob,

If you want anymore 1994's there were a few left at local Radio Shacks where I am. I think they are on clearance for like $14.99 or something. If you are interested I could look into buying them for you.
I would be surprised if this is true as the 15-1994 is still in the computer at $40, but if they really are just $15 each I will certainly take all of them. let me know.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FreezeFrame
You can have this replacement remote for free :)
How about I control RedRat on my HTPC with my 15-1994? I'd love to be able to save the searches maybe there will be some opportunities with the Replay 4000?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.