AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can buy one in perfect shape for 275 dollars. I have dealt with Canon Pro DSLR bodies for years but would like to start shooting video with a actual camcorder. My Canon camera bodies are older and do not do video.

Thanks for any suggestions...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
What are you planning on using a camcorder for?

The HV20 has manual focus, aperture and exposure controls, including zebra stripes, that you won't find in any camcorder around $300. it also has an input for an external mic and attenuation/audio limiting + cinemode, 24p and other shooting modes.

If you just want something to point and shoot/vacation, etc. - there are flash memory camcorders like from Sony, Sanyo, etc.. but the image won't be comparable to the HV20.

If you ar planning on doing anything artistic, like a short film or music videos, definitely the HV20... otherwise, there are many cheap point and shoot camcorders:
http://www.amazon.com/Camcorders-Cam...pf_rd_i=502394

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
The only other option close to that price category is the Sanyo HD1010 that you can get brand new with a manufactures warranty for $320.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws /forum/post/18218544

If you ar planning on doing anything artistic, like a short film or music videos, definitely the HV20... otherwise, there are many cheap point and shoot camcorders:
http://www.amazon.com/Camcorders-Cam...pf_rd_i=502394

I'm going to get the HV20, what you said here describes what I see myself doing with it. Thanks everybody for the help...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
As much as I dislike HDV these days, this is a heck of a deal for a HV20... you definitely won't find anything else comparable at that price point.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what I'm getting into with the tape and all that but the whole thing with me is PQ and I'm looking at this as my best bet for an interim Camcorder until I can make up my mind as to what to do with a new model and which direction I want to go.

This HV20 is my mom's next door neighbor (widow) who never used it the last couple of years after her kids bought it for her two years ago. My mom mentioned to me that she was selling it cheap and I told her I would buy it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The HV20 has excellent pq. Even though it is HDV and like 4 years old, it will give you better pq than most or all of the cheap solid state cams out there. It also has excellent features, some that a lot of cheap junks don't have, like viewfinder and audio in.

I like the HDV format and have a Sony HC3 and a Canon HV40, Canon HDV looks excellent.

I also use the 720p on my Panasonic Lumix 35, but I'll stick with HDV until they come out with 3D solid state cams, which should be coming out next year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it was me I'd rather have a Sanyo FH1a or a Sony cx100. The Sanyo is $330 used from amazon, the Sony cx100 is $322 brand new or $294 used.

but the hv20 for that price is a steal.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark /forum/post/18228820

That sony has crappy optics
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camc...l?tag=txt;page

I been shooting with a Canon HV20 and I also own a HV40, I picked up the Sony HDR CX-150 and the optics are far from crappy. Not the same model as the CX-110 but if you look across the net these models are getting pretty favorable reviews.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts