AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
using flyvideo 3k dscaler for my ps2, no i'm not satisfied, is this as good as it gets?

i was thinking of getting those progressive converters but then ill be screwed to only 480p games. And i really have no idea how good the n6 is. And no idea how good those generic vga converters are.

anyone know if theres a better way to vga ps2?

·
Registered
846 Posts
davez82,

I use an iScan pro line doubler with excellent results, though I've never compared it to any of the equipment you've listed. You definitely don't want a transcoder since there are very few 480p games on the PS2. The rule of thumb for these devices: you get what you pay for.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the suggestion shawn

wow 400 bux, but the iscan only goes up to 576p? But im guessing the quality exceeds the xblaster?

well im gonna try the n6, if that sucks im gonna return it and get the keydigital which only works with 1 of my games. If all else fails ill have to look at one of the line doublers. But most ps2 games coming out now are 480p so.. we'll see

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davez82
But most ps2 games coming out now are 480p so.. we'll see
I wouldn't say most. In fact, I wouldn't bank on many having it in the future. Keep in mind that line-doubler is good for any 480i source. I use mine for TV, movies, and all my gaming systems (even older ones).

Shawn

·
Registered
923 Posts
The iScan won't exceed the quality of the xblaster (or any other decent transcoder) assuming the game is being output in progressive natively. All a transcoder does it change the color space from the one used for Component interfaces to the one used in VGA interfaces. That's why they don't do anything for non progressive games.

Those cheapo HK line doublers are just that, line doublers. They take one frame of 480i, copy each line and shift it up or down to fill the blank space in a 480p frame before outputting to VGA. All that does is make your aliasing problems (which are considerable with the PS2, IMO) worse. If you've got a 1 pixel stairstep in your 480i frame, it becomes 2 pixels tall when you ouput to VGA, a 2 pixel stairstep becomse 4, and so on. Its a very ugly thing.

The iScan (and the Viewsonic boxes and most other "scaler" type devices that offer VGA ouput) performs similar functions to DScaler to deinterlace the interlaced signal you give it. They tend to be more plug and play, and, depending on which you are talking about, they often are built with parts superior to a PCI capture card. However, they are limited to their hardwired processing capabilities (which can be considerable, especially as you spend more and more $$$ on them), whereas you can always feed DScaler more cpu cycles or the DScaler team can release a new version with improvements. That's the trade off (well, that and cost).

I'm going to doubt you'll see much improvement by switching to an iScan or a Viewsonic or even to something costing much more. The problem here is, "garbage in, garbage out". If you're going to throw considerable money after this problem, though, I would make sure to go up to the Video Processor forum and study up. Prices are coming down and quality is going up, but on the low end, there doesn't seem to be anything that can compete with a decent DScaler setup.

Good luck.

Kensai

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that kensai

well I got the n6 and IMHO it does look better than my flyview3000 and I'll tell you why. It is more clear and less blurry, and less dependant on blurring the image to make it look good. The dscaler was ok but it looked too much like a 320 mpeg blown up ala alt enter, on a 19 inch montor, which looks really annoying.

the 480p performance on the n6 was pretty good but probably not better than the transcoders. As for 480i, the problem i had was dark colors, whenever it was dark in a room etc... i couldnt see jack. Metal gear solid 2 for example, was a constant race to jump the contrasts / brightness throughout cutscenes. Final fantasy x-2 faired better than the dscaler, it was a little more clearer, thats about it, nothing worth 200 bux.

the one thing that really sucks about the n6 is its dvd playback, it really sucks you can see the interlaced lines when things are moving even just a little.

but yah the ps2 is garbage I wish i had a xbox to test it on, but if i had a xbox i would probably have the kdxb.

i pretty much studied everything in this forum and got the n6 and flyvideo to see for myself.

I will probably return this tomorrow and buy a pc dvd player.

Or save my money wait for hdtv's to go down some more. Thats probably what im gonna do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.