AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there is any speakers that are better than the Atoms for less than $180/pr. I find the Atoms to have nice range for their size and price.

I would prefer something the size of the Atoms and would be using it as mains for 17 x 12 room and driven by the Pioneer VSX-1014TX. Listening preference is about 55% HT/45% music.

I've listened to the Athena AS-B1's and prefer the Atoms so far.

I have also listened to the JBL Northridge E20 and E30 which should fall into this price range too and they are a pretty good bang for the buck as well, but I am still not sure if they sound as good as the Atoms to my ears as I can't do an A/B test on them.

I plan to get a 5.1 set-up, so a sub will fill in for anything below 80Hz.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I've owned two pairs of Atoms over the years and currently have a pair of the v3's in my kitchen. For the money, they are an excellent speaker. I've also used them in surround position in a 5.1 and they did a pretty good job.

Jason

·
Registered
561 Posts
You most listen the Infinity Primus line

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Chronosphere
You most listen the Infinity Primus line
I did listen to the Infinity Primus 150. It was not bad, but probably similar to the Athena AS-B1 from what I remember. Not bad speakers for the price, but not as good as the Atom or JBLs IMO.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Atom's for what I know, colors the bass response, Primus, on the other hand, are more neutral. Regarding JBL's, maybe they are better.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by REWJR
Just another Canadian speaker to ponder -

http://www.axiomaudio.com/bookshelfspeakers.html
I did consider axiom at one point, but decided they were out of my price range. Also, I don't want to pay a lot in shipping charges if I found out I didn't like them. Aperion, on the other hand, actually pays for the return shipping, but they also are more than what I would want to spend.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I went back to my local Paradigm dealer today to give another listen to the Atoms, the first time I have heard them in a little over a month. The speakers at the dealer were driven by some Sony integrated receiver/cd player. Of course they connect the better receivers like the H/K to the higher end speakers at the store.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been auditioning the JBL Northridge E20 in my house over the past week. While the E20 is a nice speaker for its size and its current sale price of $100/pr, I felt it was lacking something. The E20 performed well in a 2 speaker set-up on movies and seemed to get a little better throughout the week with music CDs. However, I felt the Atom sounded much better than my ears. I'm not able to A/B these speakers, but I felt the Atoms sounded more...natural. I listened to the E20s again as soon as I got home and confirmed my opinion that the Atoms were better to my ears.

Now I have disconnected the E20s and connected a pair of JBL E30s. The E30s which can be found on sale for about $135 are MUCH better than the E20, right out of the box. Besides the obvious deeper extension the E30's 6" midrange driver provides, the overall sound was much fuller and more vocal. My wife also agreed right away that these were much better than the E20. I don't know if they are as good as the Atoms yet, but they sure sound good. The only thing about the E30's is that they are pretty huge bookshelves at 15" high x 8 3/8" wide and 12" deep. I'll be afraid to knock these off the speaker stands with the top plate measuring 6"x6".

The thing is the Atoms might have the equivalent or slightly better sound than the E30 but in a much smaller package, which appeals to me. My wife asked me if there was something in between the size of the E20 and the E30, which has me thinking about the Titan. Unfortunately I was not able to listen to the Titan again and it has been months since I have heard it. When I last heard them, I thought that while the Titans were able to go deeper than the Atoms, the Atoms were just as good.

Well, I'll be listening to the E30's for at least another week or so at home before I decide.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey failure (man that's fun to write), where did you get those titans?

I've currently got a pair of atoms, and I'm thinking of adding 3 more for a matched surround, or 3 titans as mains plus a center.

Alternative is a pair of either plus a true center channel.

$188 for titans is a nice price if i'm recalling the range correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.