AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
For network functionality, there's not a lot of competition. If you want a receiver with Rhapsody, internet radio and HD radio, I can't think of ANY other receiver than the 3900
So if these are important to you, then there's not a lot of other options.


If you want something with two HDMI outputs, you are also limited.


If you want something with the exact video processing capabilities, the 3900 is probably it. That is to say video processing allowed on HDMI sources, Progressive reprocessing and short message display overlay over HDMI. Only other receiver I know with all that is the Z7.


If you want the best video processing, you may be able to do better than the 3900 in some ways at least. It has no apparent noise reduction. Maybe the Onkyo TX-SR876 is better for video processing in some ways, but I don't know. I only know that the 3900 does not do much to improve SD signals. On the other hand, the 3900 is only one out of two receivers with PReP.


If you want more power, look at the Pioneer SC series. They are rated all channels driven.


If you think volume control is important, you might want something with Dolby Dynamic Volume. I don't know that THX Loudness Plus does the same thing, really.


I could go on a bit, but I think you need to do some of your own research here and formulate some more specific questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,926 Posts
Yea 4 Yamaha RX-V663’s is a better deal than 1 RX-V3900. Lossless is lossless. They both can accept the same audio in and with the money you save you can buy an extra amp, a computer, a set of speakers, and all of the cables you could ever want.


I still don’t get why people pay more than $400 for a receiver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15595860


Yea 4 Yamaha RX-V663's is a better deal than 1 RX-V3900. Lossless is lossless. They both can accept the same audio in and with the money you save you can buy an extra amp, a computer, a set of speakers, and all of the cables you could ever want.


I still don't get why people pay more than $400 for a receiver?

Because they want bells and whistles that you don't want. What receiver are you using? Just because you can't(somehow) justify spending more than $400 on a receiver doesn't mean that someone doesn't need what a more than $400 receiver has to offer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/15596495


Because they want bells and whistles that you don't want. What receiver are you using? Just because you can't(somehow) justify spending more than $400 on a receiver doesn't mean that someone doesn't need what a more than $400 receiver has to offer.



Well said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/15596495


Because they want bells and whistles that you don't want. What receiver are you using? Just because you can't(somehow) justify spending more than $400 on a receiver doesn't mean that someone doesn't need what a more than $400 receiver has to offer.

Yea I understand that there are some features like networking and GUI menus that would be "Nice to Have" options. However, the $1500 price difference will buy you one heck of an amp, computer, remote....etc.


I just see so many people say that they bought the RX-V1800/1900 over the RX-V663 because they wanted an extra HDMI input or the extra 10-25 watts. Neither of those are worth $1500 to anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15599368


Neither of those are worth $1500 to anyone.

You can't rightfully say what something is worth to someone, other than yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/15599616


You can't rightfully say what something is worth to someone, other than yourself.

Your just wasting money if you spend $1500 for an extra HDMI input or an extra 25 watts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Well I bought a 3900 while I was considering my options,which were for what i wanted ,the Denon 3808,4308 and onkyo 906.

I would say if you are into Music more then movies you might like the sound better on a Denon,having a 4306 myself.Not that the Yamaha sounds any worst,its just slighty different sound.One thing to keep in mind also is the Denon are a little more difficult to use and change on the fly,as they have more adjustments and menu,s which can be a bonus but confusing at times.

The Onkyo 906 has the Reon HQV which is a nice feature if you do not have any other video processing as it has a lot of video Adjustments and the reon is an excellent video chip.The only reason i did not buy the Onkyo was one,I got a deal on a Yamaha 3900 and i was a little worried about the quality of the Onkyo and support.I really wanted to try the reon video chip.

The yamaha 3900 has the 2010 ABT video chip which is pretty good also,except in the 3900 there is little picture control features like the Onkyo.The deinterlacing and scalng is good,but you will have to use your tv controls to adjust colour,contrast etc...The internet,GUI menu are excellent and you will not find better from any A/V in this price range.Actual control and usage is simple on the fly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15595860


Yea 4 Yamaha RX-V663's is a better deal than 1 RX-V3900. Lossless is lossless. They both can accept the same audio in and with the money you save you can buy an extra amp, a computer, a set of speakers, and all of the cables you could ever want.


I still don't get why people pay more than $400 for a receiver?

I bought my RX-V3900 for the features. They were worth it to me. To name a few -


* HD Radio

* Internet radio

* Message display over HDMI

* Rhapsody

* Four HDMI inputs


I could have accomplished some of these using a PC, but that would be more clunky of a solution. I could have bought an HDMI switchbox, but I don't want the extra wires and complexity.


As for what these features are worth, that's a personal decision in spite of your implication that you know what's best for everyone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15599693


Your just wasting money if you spend $1500 for an extra HDMI input or an extra 25 watts.

You do know that the 3900 uses a different amp, different dacs, and has a different power supply?


Heck it's almost like saying 1080p is 1080p who cares if its a pioneer or a vizio they both have the same amount of pixels it's just that one has a slightly better contrast....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkrio /forum/post/15600315


You do know that the 3900 uses a different amp, different dacs, and has a different power supply?

Yes, Prove it, and Yes.


The fact remains that even if you double the wattage you will barely be able to hear the difference. I compared a higher end Yamaha, to a Rotel amp, to a lower end yamaha. They all sounded virtually the same at normal listening levels after proper calibration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15600160


* HD Radio

* Internet radio

* Message display over HDMI

* Rhapsody

* Four HDMI inputs

What is the message display over HDMI again? I was not aware of that feature.


Now that you have the 3900 what percentage of time do use the receiver for the features listed above?


I thought that I would use the radio portion of my receiver a lot. I tested it out when I first got it and have never tried it since. I find that it is so much easier to just switch to the old trusty computer with 5 TB worth of storage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15599368


Yea I understand that there are some features like networking and GUI menus that would be "Nice to Have" options. However, the $1500 price difference will buy you one heck of an amp, computer, remote....etc.


I just see so many people say that they bought the RX-V1800/1900 over the RX-V663 because they wanted an extra HDMI input or the extra 10-25 watts. Neither of those are worth $1500 to anyone.

You know what is worth the $1500 more. Build quality,much better components FOR adding an outboard amp and its processing capabilities(audio and video). Get that with a $400 AVR. The noise floor from a $400 AVr to one of the better built units can't even come close to one with better build quality and all the other components you claim no one needs. I do agree there is a point where you can start wasting money on a receiver but $400 is not that point. My point would start at around $2500 and up, but someone elses may be higher. Its what fits MY budget and I don't find it a waste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,153 Posts
Considering features (Audyssey MultEQ XT, DynamicEQ, Dynamic Volume, ISF calibration), superb sound and video quality (Reon HQV), endless power
, HD radio and a beast of an amp / AVR (51 Ibs) I would consider the Onkyo TX-SR 876 to be the AVR with the most bang for the buck in this region right now. Add some networking, USB port, three power supplies and then some and I would suggest an Onkyo 906 or the equivalent Integra.


Now do compare prices (finally
) and consider the savings... the built quality and excellent reviews.


Sorry, I am biased ... or spoiled
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
The 3900 is not perfect, but I would have to take into account the complaint list on various Onkyo models when buying Onkyo.


I would agree that various Onkyo models are leaders or near leaders in features / price point.


I would speculate that the TX-SR876 or the TX-NR906 may have better VP than the 3900, if only because the 3900 does not seem to take full advantage of the ABT 2010. Odds are likely that the capability is there, but locked out because the 3900 and Z7 seem to share the same firmware. The 906 does have networking but is more expensive than the 3900 on paper.


I have stuck with Yamaha because that's what I know. And they have generally not let me down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,153 Posts
Glad to hear, that you don't have any problems with your 3900...


As any model / manufacturer in these AVR threads will show, there is *no* perfect product at this price point or way beyond it.

Just scan those threads and You may find people asking, criticizing, complaining, whining...

Most of it comes from people being overwhelmed by the countless features and parameters to be considered / adjusted on the current breed of AVRs, which have become more and more something like specialized multi-media PCs, not to be intermixed with the old "steam" radio of grandma...

The more to adjust / install, the more problems to expect (not everyone is an electronics engineer by profession).

The more people buy and use something, the more problems to be expected... and the new Onkyos sell like hell I have read.

Add to this the increasing number of new users to this medium and an ever increasing number of peripherals to be connected / handled and you will get what you got.


All manufacturers - including Onkyo / Integra - are "improving" their products with countless firmware updates, some more, some less, some more-or-less, thereby fixing bugs and adding / improving features.


My uptodate (firmware) unit works just fine and as expected (even better though
)

Not much different probably so than a Denon, Yamaha , Pioneer or whatever (you name it) unit in this respect (I don't know).

I know, that I am shamelessly
"promoting" the Onkyo(s) here, but believe me, it really has its merits...


PS.: There are some features, which make a real difference in daily life and under "non-ideal" listening conditions like Audyssey MultiEQ XT, DynamicEq and DynamicVolume, because it will help to get the most from Your system without the perfect living room, speakers and reference sound levels, which most of us cannot achieve within the given constraints (i.e. rotten acoustics, neighbors, late night, a baby).

Some will even go after ISF calibration, which is a standalone feature of the new Onkyo's, for getting the most out of their display(s).


Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15601642


The 3900 is not perfect, but I would have to take into account the complaint list on various Onkyo models when buying Onkyo.


I would agree that various Onkyo models are leaders or near leaders in features / price point.


I have stuck with Yamaha because that's what I know. And they have generally not let me down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/15601477


You know what is worth the $1500 more. Build quality,much better components FOR adding an outboard amp and its processing capabilities(audio and video). Get that with a $400 AVR. The noise floor from a $400 AVr to one of the better built units can't even come close to one with better build quality and all the other components you claim no one needs. I do agree there is a point where you can start wasting money on a receiver but $400 is not that point. My point would start at around $2500 and up, but someone elses may be higher. Its what fits MY budget and I don't find it a waste.

Prove that your components are better than the RX-V663. It uses the same DACS as all of the other Yamaha's on all channels. It has pre-outs and I have never seen any specs to show that one pre-out is better than another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15602613


Prove that your components are better than the RX-V663. It uses the same DACS as all of the other Yamaha's on all channels. It has pre-outs and I have never seen any specs to show that one pre-out is better than another.

So you must be using the 663. Where did you get it for less than $400. As for proving DAC's and pre-out specs I'm using a Yamaha 2600. Go to Yamaha.com and view their archives for the 2600. Read the reviews that will give you all you need to know about the pre-out RVMs on it, 4.55VRMS compared to 1.77VRMS on the 2700. Those were the only 2 receivers that I have seen to date from Yamaha that had that testing done to them. I doubt but could be wrong the 663 will come close to matching those specs. Now after reading those reviews come back and tell the forum that there are no receivers worth over $400. By the way I bought my 2600 in 08/07 when the price was "only" $700 delivered. This AVR matches a lot of very expensive pre-amps for its pre-out voltages. A very solid AVR that has a zero noise floor whether using its amps or as I'm using it with a Parasound2205AT. I will be waiting for your reply as well as everyone else here that knows you can't decide what best for everyone else for over $400.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/15602805


So you must be using the 663. Where did you get it for less than $400. As for proving DAC's and pre-out specs I'm using a Yamaha 2600. Go to Yamaha.com and view their archives for the 2600. Read the reviews that will give you all you need to know about the pre-out RVMs on it, 4.55VRMS compared to 1.77VRMS on the 2700. Those were the only 2 receivers that I have seen to date from Yamaha that had that testing done to them. I doubt but could be wrong the 663 will come close to matching those specs. Now after reading those reviews come back and tell the forum that there are no receivers worth over $400. By the way I bought my 2600 in 08/07 when the price was "only" $700 delivered. This AVR matches a lot of very expensive pre-amps for its pre-out voltages. A very solid AVR that has a zero noise floor whether using its amps or as I'm using it with a Parasound2205AT. I will be waiting for your reply as well as everyone else here that knows you can't decide what best for everyone else for over $400.

Here, I'll even save you a few clicks.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Docu..._rev022106.pdf

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Docu...ha_RXV2700.pdf
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top