1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
As well as the VTF-15, there are several as good or better subs in the

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The VTF-15 has rosenut finish, and the black is not vinyl...

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/19575992

As well as the VTF-15, there are several as good or better subs in the

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/19577209

Do any but the VTF-15 have the adjustment capabilities of the VTF-15? Adjustable Q, EQ, sealed mode.

The Epiks, Rythmiks, some eDs, and some SVS have sealed mode because they are sealed. Variable tuning isn't always a selling point. Built in Eq isn't always a selling point. The question was are there any comparable subs at the same price point as the MFW. Now the MFW had many price points from $499 to $899.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Actually as low as 399.00 or so. The OP brings up a great question as I have the unfortunate dilemma of needing 1 more GOOD sub to go with my 4 other MFW's. I'm considering getting 2 more MFW's but they rarely are for sale with shipping.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/19577355

The Epiks, Rythmiks, some eDs, and some SVS have sealed mode because they are sealed. Variable tuning isn't always a selling point. Built in Eq isn't always a selling point. The question was are there any comparable subs at the same price point as the MFW. Now the MFW had many price points from $499 to $899.

With an upper limit of $1,000 the OP is in the price range of a used MFW plus the Turbo Upgrade.

Exactly who is paying $899 for a non Turbo'd MFW-15?

Original prices aren't really relevant at this point. Even though not every single person interested in the MFW-15 knows VA-321 is bankrupt. People on this Forum would do their best to educate potential MFW buyers, so no body pays anywhere near $899.

Try telling potential customers that the variable tuning, variable Q, sealed mode aren't advantageous. The VTF-15 is a sub that people can grow into using the variable tuning, variable Q. Tech support from HSU for the VTF-15H is readily available. Many times people can speak to Dr. Hsu directly.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogy /forum/post/19582480

I am on the doorstep on this as well. Ready to pull the trigger on the epic empire. Same price point? As I know nothing I am looking at the epic 600W VS 350W hsu. I like the reported lower frequency response of the hsu. But again, it's all muddy. Too many different terms.

What to do?

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/empire.html

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

If you have a relatively small, sealed listening room, the epik makes sense, but if you have any kind of open floor plan, and can't close off the listening room, the ported HSU will dig deeper and play the lowest notes louder than the (sealed) Epik.

Not that there aren't people who use the Empire in larger open spaces, the thing is, those owners typically buy Dual Empires or Quad Empires.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp /forum/post/19578171

Actually as low as 399.00 or so. The OP brings up a great question as I have the unfortunate dilemma of needing 1 more GOOD sub to go with my 4 other MFW's. I'm considering getting 2 more MFW's but they rarely are for sale with shipping.

I might be able to help you out with that. I also have 4 MFW's and im thinking of selling 2 of them. Shoot me a PM and we'll talk.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/19582610

With an upper limit of $1,000 the OP is in the price range of a used MFW plus the Turbo Upgrade.

Exactly who is paying $899 for a non Turbo'd MFW-15?

Original prices aren't really relevant at this point. Even though not every single person interested in the MFW-15 knows VA-321 is bankrupt. People on this Forum would do their best to educate potential MFW buyers, so no body pays anywhere near $899.

Try telling potential customers that the variable tuning, variable Q, sealed mode aren't advantageous. The VTF-15 is a sub that people can grow into using the variable tuning, variable Q. Tech support from HSU for the VTF-15H is readily available. Many times people can speak to Dr. Hsu directly.

The OP isn't saying he wants to buy an MFW. He just wants to know what comparable subs are available in the same price/performance point. The problem with the MFW as a price comp is it's price had wild swings.

As to the VTF, I said the tuning capabilities are not always a selling point. To some people, they couldn't care less. How many people with the SVS subs with the built in PEQ set them to anything but zero? If SVS or HSU decided to pick a fixed tuning point for their subs, many people would be happy with them. And many just don't want to be bothered with having to choose settings. Just make it sound best and ship it to me. I will unpack it, set it in a corner and hook it up to my receiver.

You cannot discount or disregard the other competitors in the price range just because HSU has a new sub.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogy /forum/post/19582480

I am on the doorstep on this as well. Ready to pull the trigger on the epic empire. Same price point? As I know nothing I am looking at the epic 600W VS 350W hsu. I like the reported lower frequency response of the hsu. But again, it's all muddy. Too many different terms.

What to do?

You can't use amp power ratings in this comp. One sub is sealed and one is ported. Ported subs are more efficient and require less power than a sealed sub. If you want to run the HSU in sealed mode, we would need to see some FR graphs before you can compare it to the Empire. If it truly acts like a sealed sub, it too will have a higher roll off frequency and will also have more output below the tuning point when used in the ported configuration.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/19582968

The OP isn't saying he wants to buy an MFW. He just wants to know what comparable subs are available in the same price/performance point. The problem with the MFW as a price comp is it's price had wild swings.

As to the VTF, I said the tuning capabilities are not always a selling point. To some people, they couldn't care less. How many people with the SVS subs with the built in PEQ set them to anything but zero? If SVS or HSU decided to pick a fixed tuning point for their subs, many people would be happy with them. And many just don't want to be bothered with having to choose settings. Just make it sound best and ship it to me. I will unpack it, set it in a corner and hook it up to my receiver.

You cannot discount or disregard the other competitors in the price range just because HSU has a new sub.

1) The OP didn't say that he wasn't open to buying an MFW. With the Turbo, it should be quite the performer.

2) The wild price swings on new MFWs are pretty much moot at this point. There are lots of satin black, and MOHO that went cheap when new and are even cheaper now. I don't know why you keep bringing up the original price as the closing of the company has depressed used pricing.

3) I can't speak to how many SVS customers use the PEQ, and can't imagine that you can speak to what other buyers are doing. I can speak to the HSU VTF series, as questions come up about Maximum Extension vs. Maximum Output fairly regularly. I think Rythmik has some adjustment capabilities also. Do you think that Rythmik customers don't want to be bothered with those adjustments?

4) If you think people aren't interested in adjustments, maybe you can explain the popularity of Audyssey, the SMS-1, 8033, FBD, REW, etc,. etc.

5) I guess I have a somewhat different conception of what most people who post here are interested in doing. And for those who want to just plug and play, Dr. Hsu says put that thing in the corner and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/19583175

1) The OP didn't say that he wasn't open to buying an MFW. With the Turbo, it should be quite the performer.

2) The wild price swings on new MFWs are pretty much moot at this point. There are lots of satin black, and MOHO that went cheap when new and are even cheaper now. I don't know why you keep bringing up the original price as the closing of the company has depressed used pricing.

3) I can't speak to how many SVS customers use the PEQ, and can't imagine that you can speak to what other buyers are doing. I can speak to the HSU VTF series, as questions come up about Maximum Extension vs. Maximum Output fairly regularly. I think Rythmik has some adjustment capabilities also. Do you think that Rythmik customers don't want to be bothered with those adjustments?

4) If you think people aren't interested in adjustments, maybe you can explain the popularity of Audyssey, the SMS-1, 8033, FBD, REW, etc,. etc.

5) I guess I have a somewhat different conception of what most people who post here are interested in doing. And for those who want to just plug and play, Dr. Hsu says put that thing in the corner and enjoy.

+1

The VTF-15H being a ported sub with its high output capability is definately a better option for large areas.(if you don't care for its size)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny_G /forum/post/19575334

Is there a subwoofer out there that has more output than the MFW's around the same price (as I don't want to spend over $1000 for another sub)?

Here are some of the current price leader/top performing ID subs in your price range.

-CHT 18.1 Series 2

-eD A7s 450

-Epik Empire

-Hsu VTF 15H

-Rythmik Audio

·
Registered
8,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/19582994

You can't use amp power ratings in this comp. One sub is sealed and one is ported. Ported subs are more efficient and require less power than a sealed sub. If you want to run the HSU in sealed mode, we would need to see some FR graphs before you can compare it to the Empire. If it truly acts like a sealed sub, it too will have a higher roll off frequency and will also have more output below the tuning point when used in the ported configuration.

To add to this...I've heard the Epik in a 2400 cube room that's open to the rest of the house. It's quite a performer. I own a sub that has similar output to the Hsu. Either sub, will likely put a smile on your face. The difference is that if your room is of similar size, the Epik will work with room gain to gain and flatten extention into the teens. The Hsu will have more output in the lower regions until it gets just below tuning. This may actually need to be eq'd (scrubbed off) when coupled with room gain for the sub to sound it's best. Once either sub is dialed in, you're going to have a great performer.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp /forum/post/19578171

If you need 5 subs, i would think something is not right.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts