AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything match the original Buttkicker from 20hz on down? I know there was talk about the Earthquake q10b that kinda fizzled. Just curious as to what can handle down to 10hz or so without bottoming under reasonable conditions?

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Buttkicker LFE, and their newest version which to me improved the transient response, but neither is what I thought it would be below 20hz with authority. Thanks though.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never owned just read reviews from owners who have compared both and were definitely hangin on to their originals. Transient response might have improved with the LFE version but the originals are supposed to second to none below 20hz. One user who has 4 of the originals reported, "I had silent strong output (blurred vision) down to 7 hz and did not feel a drop off until 6 hz." That's what I'm talkin about!

·
Premium Member
25,501 Posts
Before I got LFE's I also thought the stronger the VLF, the better.

But I find it distracting - often shaking is felt w/o any sonic or visual indication on screen of what's making it.

I have a pair of Maelstom-X 18" in a 14 cf box so it's not that I'm lacking bass.

Anyway, I turned the HP filter on, which actually caused minimal detriment to the overall effect, but cut out most of the distracting VLF and reduced bottoming to a fraction of what it was.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I am looking into the crowson as well (just researching for a while) and it looks nice. Looks to go very low and be magnetic and linear so bottoming out is almost never mentioned. Now just need to learn if the single chair kit is enough.

Is it not mentioned more due to price?

·
Registered
841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc /forum/post/17058154

I never owned just read reviews from owners who have compared both and were definitely hangin on to their originals. Transient response might have improved with the LFE version but the originals are supposed to second to none below 20hz. One user who has 4 of the originals reported, "I had silent strong output (blurred vision) down to 7 hz and did not feel a drop off until 6 hz." That's what I'm talkin about!

I am that user. I use a pair of Crown K2 amplifiers to drive them. I use a programmable channel in a Parasound C2 controller. I have them low passed at 20 Hz. I have owned them for around 8 years. I tested all four of them simultaneously with sine waves down to 5 Hz in 1 Hz increments. They had very authoritative output through 7 Hz and started to drop off at 6 Hz although still very usable.

Recently I hooked up an LFE model in place of one of my original ButtKickers. I lowered the gain on the amplifiers channel until the unit stopped reaching it's limit. I then compared it to one of my originals on WOTW. It could not compete.

I have been using tactile transducers for about 10 years. I started out with an array of 8 RBH units. (ultra high performance Auras) I replaced the entire array with a pair of Clark Synthesis Gold models and then stepped up to their Platinum models. At that point I also purchased my original ButtKickers. I started driving them with a pair of Carver DCM-1000 pro amplifiers but could not tolerate the fan noise. That is when I picked up a pair of convection cooled Crown K2's. I have also used four Crowsons briefly and have also recently used four Earthquake Sounds Q10B units.

In my opinion the original ButtKicker has no peers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Chulo /forum/post/17080164

I have a question. Will the buttkicker work under a mattress? Or will it just absorb the shake?

My first tactile transducer installation was on a queen size adjustable bed in my bedroom HT.

The Bedroom

The beds mattress support bottom surface was solid 3/4" plywood except for two 1/2" gaps to allow for head and foot adjustment. I used two 2' x 4' x 3/4" plywood platforms under each end of the metal frame legs. Each platform was fitted with neoprene isolators from Kinetics Noise Control. Each platform was driven with a pair of original ButtKickers. Prior to that all my TT's were mounted directly to the beds lower plywood surface.

I moved the ButtKickers into my dedicated HT when it was completed at the end of last year. I used them to drive a platform supporting three leather recliners. I now use a pair of them on one recliner since I converted it over to a home theater for one!

I use my ButtKickers in conjunction with dual Seaton Sound SubMersives and an HSU ULS-15 QuadDrive System corrected with an SVS AS-EQ1. The room is 2537 cf.

John

·
Registered
841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/17375277

John,

Why didn't the Crowson last longer in your setup? It seems very promising.

It was years before my dedicated HT.

I was using them in my bedroom theater to drive my queen size adjustable bed. I had one unit directly between each frame leg and the floor. They did not work in 'my particular installation'. I did not compare them on a platform.

John

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi All,

I am looking for something to work with & compliment my I-Beam Tactile Transducers. There really does not seem to be much choice out there except for the Buttkicker LFE unit & the Earthquake Q10B.

The I-Beams were designed to operate as a full range tactile transducer & has a frequency range of 20Hz-800Hz.

I would like something that operates below 20hz for the LFE effects and I cannot seem to choose between the Buttkicker LFE (5hz- 200Hz) or the Quake Q10B (5hz-40hz) but I would want to hook them up somehow so that they only operate up to 20hz & cut out above so the I-Beams can then take over. I have the Buttkicker BKA-1000 amp to drive the units.

The I-Beams are apparently extremely fast & almost instantaneous so I would want the faster, more responsive of the two - can anyone advise or help me out?

Bazzy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts