AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a Xantech hardwired IR repeater system for almost a year now. Got stick-on emitters for the DTC-100, JVC DVD player, and Lutron lighting system, and plugged the IR jacks directly into my ACT-3 preamp and the G11 projector.

Everything was working fine until I mounted my projector behind the wall. Apparently, the IR jack on the G11 has never actually worked! I must have been getting and the IR off the screen.

I tried putting the IR jack from the projector into the ACT-3, works OK - so it's not the wire. I even tried boosting the IR output by setting the little jumpers on the Xantech connecting block. Still nothing.

I could always replace the wired jack with another emitter, but it just doesn't look quite as clean. Has anyone else used the IR control port with a repeater system?

Jim

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump!

Hasn't anyone wired the IR directly to the G11? Does everyone just use IR emitters?

(Or is the real answer that nobody even uses IR, they just use an HTPC and Dilard!);)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I would be happy to try it and report back. I have been using an emitter, and didn't know I could hardwire it. What type of cable will I use? Mini plug to mini plug? I'll look at the projector tonight.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it would just be a normal 1/8" (3.5mm) male to male jack, like what they use for microphone or headphone. At least that's what I'm using for the IR input on my pre-amp.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have tried this with three different DILA projectors and 2 different IR systems (xantech and Niles) without success. I can only assume the input jack does not except industry standard IR signals. If you affix the emitter to the front of the IR window it will work fine.

One note with IR control: it lack discrete on/off and input selection.

Someone on the forum edited the raw IR power code in the pronto software and was able to arrive at codes that replicate the action of holding the power button down (you cannot power up without a sustained hold of the power button, a shorter duration is required to power the unit off).

Dilard could provide bulletproof control throught the RS232 connection.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the confirmation Don. I guess I'll just use the stick-on emitter. I was worried that I had somehow damaged the IR port, when I was initially hooking things up. I accidentally plugged the IR system into my pre-amp 5vdc output trigger.:eek:

Jeffrey,

I appreciate your willingness to try it out, but it doesn't sound too promising.

I thought I could remember having some problems early on, but once I had my Pronto all set up, with macros to drop down the screen and turn all the equipment on, everything seemed to work. I guess since the screen always came down first, the Pronto was able to blast the IR off the screen and hit the projector behind me.

I did re-read the owner's manual and it has a blurb about the IR control port having an external device (needs to be built) to control it. It's strange that it isn't just wired in parallel with the IR receiver like most other equipment. I wonder if there is anything that can use this port.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.