AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was all gung-ho on getting a CRT after she saw the screen shots of green tinted LCD projectors and the washed out $12k DLPs in the store. Well, we bought a Barco BG808s (150lbs) and when the projector showed up, she was surprised/did not realize how big or HEAVY they are. I am having a tough time convincing her that the CRT will be okay on the ceiling. I have read the posts about sitting underneath a CRT during earthquakes; that there is more weight above the floor with furniture and people, etc., etc. She still thinks the projector will fall down and kill anyone sitting underneath. I am an engineer and know that unistrut and 3/8" threaded rod can hold thousands of pounds each. I see it at work and in stores everyday, just look at the ceiling of HD. Her arguments are emotional, so I have no hope of analytically convincing her. "I'm just being selfish and not caring about the welfare of the family". So plan B is to get something pre-engineered to mount the projector onto the ceiling.

I feel she would be more receptive to mounting on the ceiling, if I were to use the standard Barco mount instead of the unistrut method. Other than cost, is there anything wrong with the manufacturer's mounting kit (less adjustability)? To me it looks like you would have to be spot on, when mounting. With unistrut, you could leave extra length so the distance or angles could be adjusted.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Too funny, ? Reminds me of when I argue with my wife about things she knows absolutley nothing about, do you guys get a lot of erthquakes in MN? If anything, the factory kits offer not only more adjustment but it's much easier to get tilt correct. I'm not sure about the Barco kit but I'm sure it's similar in design. I just mounted a 175 pound Electrohome 8500 to the ceiling of my basement HT. I still had to use uni-strut in order to tie into at least 3 floor joists. Then 2 more perpendicular pieces strut to bridge the first 2 to the correct width. Then I mounted the celing bracket, which is a rather small box with radial slots cut into the sides that the mating projector brackets slip into. It was well-worth the 200 bucks, and if it will ease your wifes anxiety then that's worth a lot more than 200 bucks. "See honey, this is the factory kit for safely mounting this machine". :) TIPs:

1) remove the lenses and you remove about 50% of the weight of the machine. With the lenses out, I was able to lift mine up and drop it into the bracket pivot points with the help of only one neighbor.

2) Use an ice-pick to find the center of the floor joists under the drywall, then screw in with 2.5" long 5/16ths lag bolts ( I used 6 of them)

In a modern home with 8 foot basment ceilings I can stand under my 3 gun monster, I'm 6'1".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.