AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently renting a place where I cannot screw anything into the walls so I started looking at tripod mounted screens.

I'm looking at a 92" Dalite High Power and without naming any specific dealers, I find:

Tripod mount: cheapest

Rolldown: about 50% more than tripod

Fixed Screen: about 100% more than tripod

I personally would have expected the price breakdown to go in the exact opposite direction :confused:

Is there anything wrong with the Dalite Picture King as a permanently mounted (ie never rolled up and put away) home theater screen? Is the price differance a result of Dalite pricing the tripod version for high volume business customers and the fixed screen models for low volume HT use or is there some feature that makes the rolldown and fixed screens that much better?

And in an effort to reduce the number of threads I make:

Is the High Power a good match to the Studio Experience 1HD (Sanyo PLV-Z1) in a room with moderate light control in 92" screen size and ~12ft viewing distance?

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
If you mean, can you make good use of a tripod screen. I suppose you could take it off the tripod and hang it upside on the wall with a couple of brackets and pull it out tight and hold it open with a nail or bracket. It is the cheapest solution--not doubt about it. The next solution would be to cut the material out and make your own permanent screen.

High Power is a good match for the Z1 in your situation I think. It also "hangs" well without support.

Bob

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Well some of the limitations with the tripods, as well as manuals, is the material seletion. Both are supported units, which means that only supported materials can be used. The fixed screens work best with unsupported materials, meaning they need tensioning. There are a larger number of options in this designation than the other. Now why the cost of the fixed are more is partly because of these materials, but also because there is more labor involved in making them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.