AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway of knowing is refurbished computers are cablecard enabled. ubid has a bunch of refurbished hp d5000t on sale and I was wondering there was anyway to know wether they were cablecard enabled.

·
Registered
218 Posts
One starting point would be to see what version of Windows they claim to come with. They *must* come with a version of Vista with "Digital Cable Support". Without that version of Windows (specifically, without the additional Digital Cable activation code that comes with that version of Windows), you won't be getting CableCard working.

You need *both* a motherboard with the OCUR-bits in the BIOS, *and* the version of Windows Vista that has "Digital Cabel Support" (meaning that it comes with the additional activation code).

If the refurb machines don't come with Windows, I would *not* recommend trying to buy them. It doesn't matter if they have the OCUR-bits in the BIOS, how are you planning to get the version of Windows that you *must* have? You can't buy that Windows separately, you must buy it from a licensed OEM as part of a complete PC.

--Don

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks ... Appreciate the help. Guess I am gonna have to settle for a new one . Thought i had deal bcos one of those refurbished was going for $550.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts