AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why can I not get a 24hz signal from PowerDVD to my LCD when watching Blurays?

The stuttering that happens from a 24p signal getting mapped to a 60hz display is insanely annoying. There has got to be a way. I know for a fact my 55" Samsung LCD can do 24hz. I even have certain video games that output 24hz for their built in cinematic videos! (and work)

Tips?

***UPDATE***

Let me answer part of my own question.

With some research I found that under the NVIDIA driver panel I can MANUALLY set my display 1920x1080 24hz. For some reason PowerDVD does not trigger this resolution switch and that sucks. So I just have to remember to do it myself.

However not all is well...

Displaying Blurays at 60hz was already introducing a slight lipsync issue. Now at 24hz the lipsync is extremely laggy. Probably close to 25ms. PowerDVD, the NVIDIA driver, and my TV offer NO lipsync timing adjustments.

Is there software I can use to correct this?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Which PowerDVD (version and build)?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
v9.0 b1719

nvidia driver is the latest WHQL as well

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
What model number Samsung do you have?

Is your Power DVD9 version a PowerDVD9 Ultra version? I ask since I do not know if a version 9.0 b179 is a DVD 9 Ultra version build number or not.

Do I undestand correctly that you are also using a Nvidia 190.xx driver release?

Have you tried both 1080p/24 and 1080p/23 with the Nvidia drivers?

Just because you and sent 1080p/24 to your TV does not mean you will not have Judder since the TV may only be capable of 60fps refresh and will therfore use 3:2 pulldown when reciving 24fps content.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Power DVD Ultra is what I am running.

The Samsung does 24hz and I can manually set the nvidia driver to 24hz mode. I just have to do it before watching. PDVD ideally should do that on it's own.

Now while this does solve the judder issue it then causes a 25ms or so lag in audio sync that I am unable to resolve. There are no sync controls in the software like you'd fine on your common home theater receiver.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Again I ask what model Samsung do you have?

Since PowerDVD knows nothing about your TV/display I am surprised that you think it should change things on it's own.

Do you have your Nvida drivers set to ouptu 1080p/24 or 1080p/23 when playing DVDs?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no where in the NVIDIA driver to tell it to auto switch display modes for Bluray or DVD content (24hz). You have to do it yourself. Which I do, but then have audio sync issues.

PowerDVD, back in the day, use to have an option to chose screenmode for fullscreen playback. This seems to have been since long removed.

My Samsung is the LN55B650T

It would appear PowerDVD needs to add two options:

1) Resolution and refresh rate selection for full screen playpack

2) Audio lipsync delay setting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts