AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am very new to hifi and i may be getting my 1st proper hifi sub in future but i wish to ask:

Is there a shop or place online where one could specify parameters/dimensions/performance and the other party makes a custom sub based on what you want and ship it out to you?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
A second for funky waves they do very nice work.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,934 Posts
EbenLee Audio does too. They built some custom satellites for me, which ended up fitting so well with the other mini satellites they already sold that the new ones ultimately became another speaker line for them. The custom ones I'm referring to are the dual-driver units pictured right here .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm also just wondering is there some sort of formula based on cubic feet/meters of space for us to choose the correct sized/spec subwoofer for a room? I mean i know peeps who think going overkill is fine but if the subs' full potential is not used it makes me wonder...

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,934 Posts
There's really no magic formula I'm afraid. If there was then forums like this wouldn't exist.

The type of sub you prefer -- sealed vs ported, for example -- plays a significant role, as does what you're using if for (movies, TV, music, combination of all 3, etc). Of course, your own personal preferences weigh heavily in the decision -- "I like to get pummelled when I watch movies!", "I have neighbors that I'd rather not annoy" -- as does the physical space you have available. None of that even considers budget, which quite obviously is a huge portion of the decision as well.

The list of factors goes on, but I'm sure you get the idea.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whentrumpetsfade /forum/post/20890892

Hi i am very new to hifi and i may be getting my 1st proper hifi sub in future but i wish to ask:

Is there a shop or place online where one could specify parameters/dimensions/performance and the other party makes a custom sub based on what you want and ship it out to you?

The only reason to get a custom sub built is because of specific size and/or appearance needs.

If these don't apply to you then you will get much better value by selecting from an assortment of off-the-shelf subs that will satisfy all of your needs.

Further, if you are handy, then you can go DIY and get the exact sub you want AND the best value.

All of the subs I own now are standard commercial products.

My sub upgrade plans consist of a combination of custom (for size and appearance requirements) and commercial.

Unfortunately, I am NOT handy when it comes to fine woodworking

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
With the questions you are asking you should visit the DIY forum. Even if you did not build it the knowledge is there to decide what you should be looking for.

Many of the Funky Waves subs will perform well beyond off the shelf subs. They cost more not only because they are made with better material and to a higher standard but they use significantly better drivers and amps. It is a totally different animal.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The only problem with custom subs is that they don't go through the testing and development that a mass produced sub does, so they may or may not perform well. The three big variables are the driver, the amp, and the enclosure...and those variables have variables... It's very complicated.

There are so many sub manufacturers out there that I can't imagine what you want doesn't exist... So many of the internet direct sub makers offer custom finishes on existing subwoofers that I don't think I'd have someone build something "new" that wasn't tested...

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 /forum/post/20896794

The only problem with custom subs is that they don't go through the testing and development that a mass produced sub does, so they may or may not perform well. The three big variables are the driver, the amp, and the enclosure...and those variables have variables... It's very complicated.

There are so many sub manufacturers out there that I can't imagine what you want doesn't exist... So many of the internet direct sub makers offer custom finishes on existing subwoofers that I don't think I'd have someone build something "new" that wasn't tested...

Bull . . . mass produced subs are that way so that they appeal to most people. Costs have to be held in check in order to maximize profit. A custom builder can do a better job as he is building it for your room and probably with better parts.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 /forum/post/20897747

Bull . . . mass produced subs are that way so that they appeal to most people. Costs have to be held in check in order to maximize profit. A custom builder can do a better job as he is building it for your room and probably with better parts.

I have to agree with bsoko. The reality is that it is not that complicated. There are programs that simulate what the performance of a driver box amp combination will be. There is also lots of experience with different driver, box, amp combinations. There are a few sets of measurements that have been done on custom subs and factory subs. There are some great factory subs don't get me wrong. The highest performing subs measured were "custom".

If this kind of thing interests you I would spend some time reading at the DIY forum. Even if you are not a DIY guy you will gain a greater understanding of what makes a sub tick.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool and your inputs are really appreciated guys
Ya am not a DIY guy as far as audio hardware goes but am sure lots of interesting stuff to pick up on / learn from those that do on forums, etc hehe Also curious: suppose someone/shop DIYs for you a sub: would they issue a test certificate like "this sub has, in ideal conditions been tested to go as low as " for example?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I just had Nathan from Funky Waves build two custom sealed dual 12" subs for me and they look fantastic! I should be receiving them within' the next 7-10 days. Nathan has been excellent to deal with, sending me pictures, and just yesterday he sent me measurements. So yes, the custom sub builder does measure the equipment and is willing to provide these measurements to the customer.

Here's the thread for my subs: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1354003

·
Registered
881 Posts
acoustic elegance made subs for warpdrv that are right up there with funkywaves in my opinion. I am not sure if they do that anymore though, couldnt hurt to contact them and see their prices (theyre in the US which helps)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1266665

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.