AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a relatively small apartment (top floor) and I like to bump my sub with movies and music (Velodyne DLS-4000R)....but my neighbors are complaining to the office about the bass. Is there anyway to make them not feel the bass, but still keep in nice in my apt? Maybe raising the sub (how high?), or any other options?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Auralex Gramma

Either way tho sound is going to travel outward...that should help for a start.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was considering making an isolation platform. But then started considering the height factor. If I raise it a couple feet might that eliminate the problem?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova0002 /forum/post/0

Yeah I was considering making an isolation platform. But then started considering the height factor. If I raise it a couple feet might that eliminate the problem?

The best you can so is decouple it from the ground. Common sense also plays a big part in this...take it easy on the gain late at night and try using night modes and audyssey dynamic volume late at night.

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
Sure and on the cheaper side aura shakers. When I stayed in an apartment I really appreciated the aura shakers. I had 4 and just put them under the couch cushions. Friends got a kick out of em and thought I had subs in the couch.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am well aware of tactile transducers, however its not an addition I am willing to consider at this point. Do you guys think a custom stand could do the trick? I was thinking about raising it about 2-3 feet. Padding the platform (top), and bottom (of the part the sub sits on. Then padding the part that touches the floor as well. Does anyone have anything like this or think this might eliminate the majority of what the neighbors are hearing?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I've built my own isolation pad for my sub to give my downstairs neighbors a bit of respite. Of course, I can hear his stereo just fine sometimes.

It depends on what type of padding you're talking about and whether the vibrations the neighbors can hear are just from the sub cabinet (in which, yes, it should help) or from just high levels (in which, no, it won't help, and you just need to turn it down.)

Raising it up won't do anything if it's still vibrating (and if that's the real problem.) Bass waves are huge and go everywhere.

Of course, it would help to get them involved as well, both to see if what you're trying to do will help and to show them some good will. See if you can't hear it from their place.

Otherwise, I'd look for a new place to live if you insist on cranking it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unlikely as they haven't been very diplomatic about the situation. The cabinet of the Velodyne is really heavy, and doesn't vibrate much. For example I have a 21" Widescreen LCD on top of it and it hasn't vibrated ever....even at high volumes. But because its on the floor directly (without any platform in between) it vibrates the floor. I can feel it when I put my hand on the floor. But like I said it doesn't vibrate the monitor whats so ever and it sits directly on top of the sub. So that's kinda why Im thinking if I build a nice platform between the sub and floor it shouldn't vibrate the floor directly. But LFE are easily heard regardless so maybe its a waste of time? You think it'll reduce what they hear considerably regardless (with the right platform built)?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova0002 /forum/post/20840809

So that's kinda why Im thinking if I build a nice platform between the sub and floor it shouldn't vibrate the floor directly.

Only if the platform is decoupled with some spongy material. Otherwise it's transferring vibrations to the floor. Which may not seem apparent to you, but could be a nightmare for those sitting below the floor/ceiling, which is now a giant resonator thanks to your sub.

My sub never vibrates, either, but definitely transferred vibrations until I built an isolation platform.

Quote:
But LFE are easily heard regardless so maybe its a waste of time? You think it'll reduce what they hear considerably regardless (with the right platform built)?

Depends. How loud are you running it?

It's a shame you can't talk to your neighbors so you can hear what they're complaining about. Otherwise, you could try solutions but you may not know if they're futile until you get an eviction notice.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
There is a fair amount of this topic in the construction forum. I wouldn't suggest starting a new thread there, but using the advance search engine, title search only with words like:

neighbor

sound isolation

bass isolation

bass

etc

Here are a couple of similar threads....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=neighbors

Bottomline: Bass travels. Isolation/decoupling from the floor will help in a limited fashion, but in an apartment there is not much you can do beside turning it down and using tacticle transducers (buttkickers etc), so you can feel the bass without the need to crank it up.

I agree, you should visit the neighbor to get a feeling what they are experiencing in their apartment the bass at normal levels.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Nearfield placement....right beside you or behind you.

Less boom for them and better feel for you!

·
Registered
331 Posts
It doesn't matter what you do, bass frequencies travel through walls and floors.

You might bite the bullet, consider a GOOD set of head phones, and quit fighting with the neighbors/management over the sound. Been there ... done that!

Good Luck,

Bill C

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
There has been a lot of discussions about subwoofers and apartments.

Some apartment complexes here specifically prohibt them in the rental contract and those that don't have a general noise clause.

Since you have already disturbed the neighbors you are starting out in a poor position, since they will now be listening for it.

Moving the sub right beside your listening position is probably a good idea.

Start out by level matching the sub to the speakers, either let the AVR do it automatically or use a SPL meter and do it manually and don't run the sub hot.

Get some 1" - 1.5" heavy closed cell foam, cut 6x6 squares and sit the sub on them, this will isolate the sub from the floor for cheap.

I am reasonably sure you would not want to listen to a dog barking in the adjacent apartment.... So last but certainly not least, be respectful of the other people's right to not have to hear your stereo and turn down the volume of the whole system.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Has anyone had similar problems in a townhouse basement? I'm moving into our new place and am putting together my HT setup in our finished basement. My use would be primarily movie-watching with some gaming. I don't listen to much music in my HT.

I was initially looking at the BIC F-12 but after reading some more reviews I'm considering increasing my budget and going for the HSU STF-2. I really like tight, clean bass and plan to incorporate a Gramma sub-riser to help smooth things out.

I'm wondering if the HSU is worth the additional expense given the limitations of being in a townhouse with shared walls. This will be my first subwoofer so I'm sure anything will sound good, but I thought it might be worth purchasing a better-quality sub that could serve me well down the road when I move into a bigger place.

FYI, my HT room is about 16x14. The sub will be coupled with Polk Monitor 60 towers, Polk CS10 center and Monitor 30 surrounds.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I was able to run my Bic H-100 in a townhouse for about two years with no problem. Now it's in an apartment, again with no problem. You'd definitely want an isolation platform, though, to keep the vibrations from the cabinet to a bare minimum. And not go crazy with the bass.

Isolation and moderation are the keys to using a sub in a shared dwelling.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/20853396

I was able to run my Bic H-100 in a townhouse for about two years with no problem. Now it's in an apartment, again with no problem. You'd definitely want an isolation platform, though, to keep the vibrations from the cabinet to a bare minimum. And not go crazy with the bass.

Isolation and moderation are the keys to using a sub in a shared dwelling.

That's good to hear! I haven't had any problems in our current apartment watching blu-ray movies and our floors are pretty thin. Then again, I didn't have a sub.

I'm hoping I can enjoy my movies in my new home at a slightly higher volume with added LFE support!

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 /forum/post/20853520

That's good to hear! I haven't had any problems in our current apartment watching blu-ray movies and our floors are pretty thin. Then again, I didn't have a sub.

I'm hoping I can enjoy my movies in my new home at a slightly higher volume with added LFE support!

I have a STF-2 on a DIY SubDude isolator in an apartment. No complaints yet, just don't crank it past 8-9 in the evening.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.