AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There a morning show that comes on at 7am on channel 58 (sacto local). i would like the UTV to autotune (tv is left on all night) to that channel. i would also like it to record the program (a series record that only keeps 2 episodes saved). Happy Days is set for autotune at 6:30am, on a different channel. So far i can seem to get it to autotune and record, it seems that the record kills the autotune.

This programs is a M-F program (3 hours)

any help?>

-daveninja.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
Assuming you are usinf both tuners, here's what's going on. UTV records a pre and post buffer for every show you schedule unless there are back-to-back recording on both tuners.

Since Happy Days is set up to record at 6:30 the utv actuall sets it up to record from 6:29 until 7:05.

The news show starts at 7:00 so the other tuner has to record it. So while tuner one records Happy Days, tuner two tunes into the other channel in the background and records from 6:59 until 5 minutes post.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17,582 Posts
There's also a little glitch in the system where if you're watching TV and two recordings start - even if one is on the same channel you're watching, it will sometimes switch to the other channel it is recording rather than stay on the one you were watching. I'm not sure what causes that one. Maybe it picks the tuners based on what was programmed first or what its "Keep" priority is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think what does that is that each tuner is set to only look at transponders of either even or odd numbers. Transponders are parts of the satellite, and each channel or groups of channels are on a specific transponder number. Each tuner can look at only even or odd transponder numbers at any given time, so that may be what causes it to switch...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aLfer
I could be wrong, but I think what does that is that each tuner is set to only look at transponders of either even or odd numbers. Transponders are parts of the satellite, and each channel or groups of channels are on a specific transponder number. Each tuner can look at only even or odd transponder numbers at any given time, so that may be what causes it to switch...
Nope. Each tuner is hooked up to it's own LNB on the dish. If the tuner wants an odd transponder, it sends a set voltage to it's LNB to switch it. Even transponders trigger a different voltage. Same thing happens for the other tuner and it's LNB. This changes a little bit with more than 2 tuners. The multiswitch locks one LNB to odd and the other to even. Then when a tuner requests an odd transponder, it is switched to the odd LNB. Same for even. Clear as the Mississippi? :confused:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveNinja
There a morning show that comes on at 7am on channel 58 (sacto local). i would like the UTV to autotune (tv is left on all night) to that channel. i would also like it to record the program (a series record that only keeps 2 episodes saved). Happy Days is set for autotune at 6:30am, on a different channel. So far i can seem to get it to autotune and record, it seems that the record kills the autotune.

This programs is a M-F program (3 hours)

any help?>

-daveninja.com
I'm thinking you may just have to record both programs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
mwhitted, THANK YOU! I've always wondered how the multiswitches worked and why exactly the odd/even transponders do what they do. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by raldrich
mwhitted, THANK YOU! I've always wondered how the multiswitches worked and why exactly the odd/even transponders do what they do. THANK YOU!
Thsnks. It gets even more complicated with a multi-satellite system, but basically the system uses a tone to select the satellite and the voltage to select the polarity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Heya all,

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but when both tunners are recording a program, you can *SOMETIMES* (don't know why it's not all the time) you can use the channel up/dn to switch between the 2 programs being recorded.

Gavin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.