AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:
The L42H861 is AOC's newest 42" 1080p television. It has a 6000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio providing brilliant picture and color. With 3 HDMI inputs providing for the best connectivity and NTSC/ATSC tuners with Clear QAM for high definition signal reception. Hook up your Blue Ray player, gaming system, or high def cable to enjoy the amazing picture the AOC L42H861 provides.

> Full 1080p resolution

> NTSC/ATSC Tuner with Clear QAM

> 3HDMI, 2 Video, and PC Inputs

> 1920 x 1080 Resolution

> 500 cd/m2 Brightness

> 6000:1 Contrast Ratio

> 8ms Response Time

> Digital Audio Output (SPDIF)

> VESA Wall Mountable

Looks like a good deal, only online, just wondering if anyone has one, or has any thoughts......

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am interested to buy this TV also. The price is pretty good. Do they have display models in local costco?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvset /forum/post/14218889

I am interested to buy this TV also. The price is pretty good. Do they have display models in local costco?

Not that I'm aware of. It's on line purchase only.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered this 42" LCD TV early last week from Costco.com, and it arrived via UPS 3 days later. I hooked it up to a Comcast HD DVR w/ HDMI and we've been watching it a lot this weekend. So far, I am very pleased with this unit. It delivers a great picture, especially on HD channels. One small quibble is that it makes a quick sharp noise when being shut down. I hope this isn't an indication of future failure, but at least it can be easily returned to Costco. By the way, I found a 10-foot HDMI cable at Fry's for $8 and the TV seemed to be OK with it. Has anyone found that more expensive HDMI cables deliver better results?

·
Registered
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgorud /forum/post/14231738

I ordered this 42" LCD TV early last week from Costco.com, and it arrived via UPS 3 days later. I hooked it up to a Comcast HD DVR w/ HDMI and we've been watching it a lot this weekend. So far, I am very pleased with this unit. It delivers a great picture, especially on HD channels. One small quibble is that it makes a quick sharp noise when being shut down. I hope this isn't an indication of future failure, but at least it can be easily returned to Costco.

Thanks for the input. Have you ever had other HD sets, or is this your first?

Quote:
By the way, I found a 10-foot HDMI cable at Fry's for $8 and the TV seemed to be OK with it. Has anyone found that more expensive HDMI cables deliver better results?

No, stay with the least expensive one that works and seems sturdy enough for your application.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This AOC L42H861 is our first HDTV, so we don't have a lot to compare it with. This set met or exceeded a lot of criteria that I had for a new HDTV, including the fact that it is a little less than 40" wide. I haven't seen many 42" flat-panels with that characteristic, and our existing cabinet is exactly 40". I also think its current Costco.com price for a 42" 1080p LCD TV is very competitive.

I also want to thank AVSForum member 2Below for posting his Avia-calibrated settings for a the similar AOC L42W761 last January. I found his numbers to be a good starting point for the new model as well. Here is a clip from his note with the settings he found optimal:

------------------------------------------

My settings are:

Contrast 76

Brightness 36

Sharpness 4

Color 59

Tint R2

Backlight 2

The set is in a fairly dark bedroom so I've got the backlight down quite low. The blacks seem better this way. All of the settings were done with the Avia calibration patterns. I have an old DVD player in the bedroom with component outputs that was used for the calibration and I used the settings for the HDMI input. Once I get the HD DVD player from my main setup, I'll recalibrate using the HDMI inputs instead.

Update with using the HDMI input from the HD DVD:

73, 39, 4, 54, 0, 2

-----------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I saw this set in Radio Shack the other day, it looked really good especially for the price. It was next to an LG and the LG wasn't all that much better.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlw2000 /forum/post/14309547

I noticed on the costco site that this is a 1920x1080 tv and I was wondering if there is a 1 to 1 pixel mode.

I just emailed them because I cannot find the information on AOC's site or in this forum (most likely since the unit is so new).

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc201 /forum/post/14329275

Looks like a great buy. What would you guys recommend between that set and this LCD 42" at Sams? :

Two things stand out to me in this comparison:

First, this model is not in the current lineup and likely discontinued. It looks to have been replaced by 42MF437B_37 ( http://www.magnavox.com/index.cfm?ev...3&product=1050 )

Secondly, if you have a Costco membership (even if not, it may be worth getting one if you buy a TV they carry) you get that nice 1 yrs MFGR. extention for FREE with a 90 day return policy.

It does appear to do 1:1 but is somewhat vague in the manual in this regard as it states the famous BS line; "on select models". The manual covers 3 models. LMAO

·
Registered
37 Posts
And when you think it cannot get any better! Great info JMB, ty. After some great feedback from other members, I am down to this unit or the new VIZIO VO42L unit. I do like the feedback and reviews the Vizio model is receiving as opposed to the small amount of feedback that I see on the AOC unit. Also, I think you can SEE the Vizio at most C stores. The other unit under consideration is the Samsung LN40A550, which is not a great deal more and well, it is a Sammy (not at Costco, however). The problem is, for me as well as most people, price creep! The more I look, the more I seem to justify spending! Good luck mates!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I, too, am looking at both of these sets. The Vizio VO42LF is in Costco stores and looks very good. I'm going to see if the AOC Envision is at a local Radio Shack as someone mentioned earlier. There have been good reviews on the 32" AOC but nothing beyond this forum that I can find on the 42" set.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbissell /forum/post/14353605

I, too, am looking at both of these sets. The Vizio VO42LF is in Costco stores and looks very good. I'm going to see if the AOC Envision is at a local Radio Shack as someone mentioned earlier. There have been good reviews on the 32" AOC but nothing beyond this forum that I can find on the 42" set.

Be sure about the Vizio model number in Costco. They had the VO37 and VO47 on the shelf, but the 42" in my store was the VU42LF. Although this unit did not look bad, it is not one with all the positive reviews. They do not even list the VU42LF on the website, so my guess is the VO42 will hit the shelves in my store after the existing stock has sold out.

Let me know what you think of the AOC if you do end up seeing it at RS.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the tip/caution. Luckily, the set in both Costco's that I have checked has been the VO42L. The only other Vizio I have seen at these Costco's is the GV42L but they seem to have run out of that one. I prefer the all-black styling of the VO42L anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vizio is certainly better, no doubt. Is it 200 dollars better is a question? The reposnse time on the VIZIO is 5ms as opposed to 8 for AOC. Also Vizio has PIP/POP whereas AOC does not. The constrast ratios and brightess levels are pretty comparable.

Would have loved the lifetime return policy on the AOC
Good ol days!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I called two local Radio Shack stores and the largest set they have on display or sell is the AOC 32". That's also the largest set they show on their website. So, unless someone knows of another bricks & mortar retailer who carries this set, I guess you have to buy it sight unseen from Costco.com

1 - 20 of 79 Posts