AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
No skipping commercials? Perhaps they think if they can get away with this, other PVR's will follow so as to not upset the networks.

Will be interesting to see how this all works out. My main reason for getting a PRV was not commercial skipping, but I do enjoy the 30 second skip, and I never watch recorded commercials.

The Scientific Alanta boxes I have used for cable were always "rented" for about $4.95 per month. I assume the new PRV boxes will also be rented.

So why not have one box and two rent fees? The standard fee does not skip commercials. The "enhanced features" fee allows skipping of commercials but costs slightly more. This should make everyone happy.

Personally I hope we are never forced to watch commercials. If the networks and sponsers can not handle it, that is their problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's easy. If they decide to start doing stuff like this across the board, I'll just go back to recording everything to tape. :( Not my first choice, but I rarely watched 'live' television for various reasons before I got my UTV. UTV just made it a lot more convenient.

Sean

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wonder if there will be a FF. Will the box simply not have an 30 second advance button. No FF at all will be a shame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a new convert from the darksire ( Time Warner ). I am glad I made the switch, I hope this trend does not spread thoughout the PVR market.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Staind: I believe they are particularly concerned with the 30-second skip; I'd guess that they would "allow" FF-ing. Many commercials are created with this in mind.

Even with 30-second skip, I will occasionally catch a frame of a commercial that interests me, and actually watch it; I do enjoy a GOOD commercial occasionally.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The only ads I occasionally watch are for previews of an up-coming show. Either ff or 30-second skip provides a brief glimpse of the ad so I can determine if I want to see the rest. Then if the show looks good, I proceed to My Shows to get it programmed.

Does anyone know if Dinotopia will be rebroadcast soon? I didn't realize it was a three part movie and set UTV for 2 episodes. By the time I had watched the second part and realized there would be a third Tuesday night, I had missed it. Maybe I should start using series record more. But using auto-record catches shows on other channels. I wish UTV had a priority like Tivo, but then I also like the My Shows organization,etc. All these tradeoffs....

·
Registered
27 Posts
If they are that scared, I think they should implement a 15 second skip. We have to hit the buttons twice as many times, but we see 2 frames of the commercial instead of 1.

My $0.02

·
Registered
36 Posts
Maybe we should get more 15-second commercials.

·
Registered
719 Posts
What does it mean to "watch the button" as in the ceo's quote:

"Any time you skip a commercial or watch the button you're actually stealing the programming"

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps he's thinking about picking belly buttons. What better time is there to pick the lint out of your belly button?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.