AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. First time poster here. I have a question that I've searched the forum for an answer to. I've also picked the brains of so-called Philips "technical assistance" reps, and they don't even know what APAC is!

So I'm asking you out there. On Philips Widescreen HDTV's there is a feature called "APAC" which stands for Automatic Phosphor Aging Compensation, a fancy way of saying that the screen shifts to the left every once in a while to prevent burn in. Well, I find this "feature" very annoying and I was hoping somebody out there knows how to turn this feature off. As I said, I tried Philips tech support and they didn't even know what APAC was. Any help would be appreciated. btw, it's a Philips 55" HDTV. Thanks in advance.

M7

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
The user's manual doesn't say anything about turning it off? I know APAC is in their documentation and on the web. Site the link or page in the manual and demand to talk to someone who know what the hell they are talking about over at Philips support.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Mark, but believe me, I've tried! I even had someone on live chat while on the phone with these people. You could see that they were going to their supervisor and asking what APAC was, and they just didn't have a clue, telling me to call Philips and schedule a tech to come out. I did read them the description of APAC right out of the manual.

I must say I love this tv, but I really hate Philips tech support. Oh, and the free portable DVD player they sent me for buying the tv didn't work! They told me to contact the manufacturer, even though it was Philips that sent it to me! Oh well...

M7

·
Registered
14 Posts
Add me to the list as far as wanting it disabled. It's a good idea, but it's aggrevating when it shifts the picture when I'm watching a DVD! And mine isn't totally centered from left to right - when I watch standard cable 4:3 channels, the bar on the left is smaller than the bar on the right. So when I use the zoom function on my cable remote to fill the screen, I lose a small part of the left side:rolleyes: PITA!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used to sell the Phillips and at the time they had a burn in protection that I believe was call anit-phosphor aging correction. It is basically burn in protection by shifting the picture. This could be the APAC on your set and I do know that it could not be defeated. This feature was on a 64" that we only carried briefly.

I could just be loosing my mind it has been a few years.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mpclem0
I used to sell the Phillips and at the time they had a burn in protection that I believe was call anit-phosphor aging correction. It is basically burn in protection by shifting the picture. This could be the APAC on your set and I do know that it could not be defeated. This feature was on a 64" that we only carried briefly.

I could just be loosing my mind it has been a few years.
You are right on the money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right you are, clemO. If you do the math, so to speak, anti phosphor aging correction = APAC. Oh well, at least my question's been answered. Thanks.

m7

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, this might not help much, but with a progressive scan player hooked up to AV4 the APAC doesn't kick in at all. I know that doesn't help much with watching normal television or usinf the other AV inputs, but it's something I guess :)

I've looked right through the service menu and can't find anything which may be a setting to eliminate it either. Guess we're stuck with it.

vince

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can't seem to turn it off either, but on my tv (55pp9502) it only kicks in when I play Playstation. It never shifts during tv viewing or DVDs, at least not that I can notice. But PS2 games its easy to see, as the picture seems to "shift" to the left every 10 minutes or so, and begins to leave a black bar that gets wider and wider on the right side of the screen with each "shift". The it resets itself to completely centered. Not anything that bothers me too much.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I never see it on mine, but that could be because I strech all regular 480i TV to fill the screen. I got used to it a long time ago...only bother is I miss some of the bottom news and scores moving feeds. No big deal. I also got the freeware HTB from them, the DVD player is the best part. Progressive Scan and great looking. The Reciever sucks though, no optical input (only output). I also believe APAC does not come on HD as I've never seen it there either.

I run AV1 / AV2 (DTV/VCR) in a stretch mode. AV4 (480P/1080i) / AV5 (480P/1080I) (DVD/HDTV)

Very happy with the TV, need to get a new receiver...

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Is this "feature" included w/the new Cineos 55" LCOS set?

Dana

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.