AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started looking into options, so any pointers would be appreciated. There is one wall I'm worried about, the rear wall of my living room which is shared with my neighbor's living room. It's what you might expect, just your average sheet rock wall. It's about 8' h x 12' w. My rear speakers are placed about 6" from and firing nearly parallel to the wall.

Basically, I'm looking for something with both good broadband absorption and blocking qualities; minimally intrusive structurally (i.e. no adhesives and as few hole in the wall as possible); portable and modular for future living spaces. What I'm not too concerned about is price, within reason provided it's easily reusable in the future. As far as looks go I really don't care, black or white or gray is fine.

I haven't found too much detailed/ordering info yet on ready-made products but I'm still refining my search strings, any links would be great. What I have found at McMaster (p.n. 53995T24 ) is Foam/Lead Sound Absorbing Sheets. It has the highest ratings I could find among McMaster's options, NRC 0.90 and STL 27.

They measure 75" Lg. x 50" Wd. x 1" and weigh 30 lbs. I'm wondering how rigid these are, I would like to just hang them on the wall like a painting if possible. If they aren't rigid enough, I was thinking I could make frames out of strut channel with maybe a strip of sorbothane across the bottom strut. I don't know... I'm a little burned out w/DIY, any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I realize they are mutually exclusive, but I'd be willing to settle for something mediocre at both. Anthing would be an improvement over plain uninsulated sheetrock, right? Did you look at the product specs (NRC 0.90, STL 27), I realize they don't provide frequencies but do you have any impression or familiarity with it? Do you think hanging panels ala picture frames would would be a good idea as it will provide a small air gap? Thanks for any input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.