AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has either the S15 or S20 APC A/V UPS Conditioners. I am trying to figure out if the 900W S15 will be enough to power my whole system. I have a HTPC (Basic Integrated Graphics with one HD), PRO-151FD 60" Plasma (Stated 524W in Manual), & Dish Network DVR. I also plan on adding a $600.00 Denon reciever and a mid level surround system from Jamo or B&W. I assume the quoted number of 524W from the 60" plasma is probably the in-rush at startup and not the constant power draw. I know my HTPC and DVR must be around 200W. What has been your experience with these APC units??

I know these APC units apparently use MOV's and I have done months of research on the surge protection subject. I have read everything and placed calls to both Zerosurge and SurgeX. My conclusion is that unless you specifically purchase the TSC Zerosurge Business model you are still letting around 330V have access to your system, which is the same as the $40.00 Pro APC Power Strip. Even with the TSC system from Zerosurge you are still letting in around 40V to your system which is the same claim made by the APC S15 & S20. If integrated properly MOV's will work perfectly its only the crappy $10.00 power strips that give MOV's a bad name.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
I use the S15 with:

Integra 9.8

Bryston 9B STT

SA 4250HD cable box

Sony XA 5400ES

Oppo BDP-83

Audyssey Sound Equalizer (sometimes)

Fujitsu P50 PDP

I do not power up everything simultaneously but had not had a problem.

I also use another S15 in my other system but, there, the load is less.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts