AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyways. I'm experimenting with MC9. I went to set up the ripping options, and chose APE since it's lossless. However, there are different settings, ranging from high quality to fast. Now, I thought that APE was lossless, period. So what's the deal with the different quality settings? If it's lossless, there shouldn't be a difference in quality, should there? I ripped a CD with both extreme settings, one on quick the other on highest quality. There is a 9 mb difference in total size of the 12 tracks between the two different rips. What's funny is that the quicker one is the larger one, meaning less compression, which typically would make me think better quality. So I'm assuming that the quality only refers to how much compression is applied? I see very little difference between the end product of any of the settings, only in the amount of time it takes to rip.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It's simply a matter of time vs size. What lower quality seting really means is that the encoder won't spend as much time trying to compress as much as possible, while higher quality setting the encoder will spend as much time as necessary to compress as much as possible. In both cases the compression is lossless.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by helzerr
It's simply a matter of time vs size. What lower quality seting really means is that the encoder won't spend as much time trying to compress as much as possible, while higher quality setting the encoder will spend as much time as necessary to compress as much as possible. In both cases the compression is lossless.
That's what I assumed. It's a little misleading naming the option "Quality," especially as it relates to most other forms of compression, i.e. MP3. Thanks for the confirmation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.