AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, been a member for a long time, but haven't posted in a while - mostly because I've been extremely happy with my equipment and haven't felt a need to upgrade. That has unfortunately changed. Background of my setup: Aperion 5T towers, 5C center, and 4B surrounds, with a Bravus 8D (not II) sub. Receiver is an Onkyo TXNR708.

Yesterday, the sub started making a rhythmic thumping sound, almost like a heartbeat, when it was powered on. I've eliminated the receiver and cables, as it will also do it if there is no LFE or other signal coming to the sub, power only. This has led me to believe it's the amp. I've talked to Aperion, and apparently this amp is no longer available as a replacement part, essentially leaving me with 2 options - convert the sub to passive, or replace it. This is incredibly frustrating to me, considering the sub is only 4 years old, was never pushed beyond about 40% power, and has never been abused.

That got me thinking. The new Bravus II 8D appears to be the same size as the 8 I have. Does anyone know if the amp (300W instead of my 150) is the same footprint as mine? If so, can I replace the amp in mine with the upgraded one, and essentially convert mine to a II? May seem like a hassle, but my sub is the gorgeous cherry finish that they for some reason no longer offer. I'd like to keep it if possible.

If that's not an option - what would you do? Convert it to passive, or replace it? I'd also appreciate recommendations on amps or replacement subs that you have. I know of SVS, HSU, and am hearing good things about Outlaw subs. But, I haven't shopped much because I've been so happy with my Bravus, until now. I really don't need anything bigger than what I have currently, but might consider a 10" given that I will be moving to a new house within a year or so that might have a bigger room I need to fill.

I would consider Aperion again if they still offer good value, and while I still love my speakers, I'm a littler disappointed in them given this issue (although the problem appears to be an outsourced amp, and not the drivers themselves).

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Bump to the top. Spoke to Aperion - the amps are not interchangeable, so that idea is gone. Now I'm down to external amp, or new sub. Still open to recommendations in the $500-$700 price range, but leaning towards the SVS PB-1000 or maybe 2000.

Anyone?

·
Registered
59 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I would just replace the amp. I'm a big fan of Aperion speakers, including the beautiful finish, so understand why you want to keep the one you have. But the consensus here would, I expect, be to replace the sub with one of the more popular, well-reviewed brands you mentioned.

I don't have the Aperion sub, so can't offer any opinion as to its relative quality. I do love my other Aperion speakers though (Verus Forte towers and satellites, Verus Grand center, Intimus 5c and 5b).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I also love my speakers, and have turned a few people onto Aperion. I plan to upgrade to the Verus Forte or Grand when I get into a new house and use these in a secondary room. Unfortunately, according to Aperion the amp design was proprietary one for this sub and the supply is completely extinguished. There simply are no parts anymore. I could try and retrofit a plate amp to it, but because of dual side drivers, they warned me space was limited in there and that was the limiting factor. Basically, they had yet to find an amp plate that will fit. They did walk me through the external amp process, but not convinced that's for me - yet.

I did find a work around last night - this sub was the model that they put a remote control and LCD screen with, so I can mute the sub with the remote once I have turned off the other components, and the thumping goes away. It's a temporary fix, but gives me some time until I'm in the new place and can figure out the right size sub for me.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
For $700, I would go with the Rythmik LVX12.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts