AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically the same price [$400] so which one would you buy and why?

Family room in my new house has hardwood floors and 15' by 20'. I am buying the black Aperion 533-T Cinema HD 5 speaker package very soon as well. Usage will likely be 50% TV/DVD/HD-DVD, 30% XBOX 360 gaming, and 20% music.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausesq /forum/post/13001142

Basically the same price [$400] so which one would you buy and why?

Family room in my new house has hardwood floors and 15' by 20'. I am buying the black Aperion 533-T Cinema HD 5 speaker package very soon as well. Usage will likely be 50% TV/DVD/HD-DVD, 30% XBOX 360 gaming, and 20% music.

I don't know where you're looking, but the S-10 is $499 on Aperion's website. The S8-APR is $399. Between the S8 and VTF-1, I'd say go for the Hsu. Hsu has a great reputation for subs, as subwoofers are their specialty. The VTF-1 has much deeper extension than the S8-APR. Also take a look at SVS's PB10-NSD - it's a great sub for $429, and should be better for HT and gaming than either the S8-APR or VTF-1

If you're looking at spending $499, the Hsu VTF 2 MK3 is probably a better choice than the S-10. It should be about the same as the PB10-NSD for movies, with an edge for music over the PB10-NSD.

I'm sure Aperion's subs are decent, but Hsu and SVS specialize in subwoofers and make very good subs for the money. IMO, the only reason for you to get an Aperion sub is if the finish matters, or if you want it to aesthetically match your other speakers (which are going to be Aperions). There's no sonic advantage to having your sub be from the same manufacturer as your speakers, and in terms of sheer subwoofer for your money, Hsu and SVS will be better. Just my two cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your feedback. I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to subs.

What are you comments on that SVS 10" sub being better for gaming and HT based on - this forum, reviews, prof. reviews? Any references or links outside of this forum?

·
Registered
8,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausesq /forum/post/13001358

What are you comments on that SVS 10" sub being better for gaming and HT based on - this forum, reviews, prof. reviews? Any references or links outside of this forum?

Ed Mullen used to test subwoofers because he liked to know how subwoofers performed. Ed had another very good job. Now Ed Mullen works for SVS. Ed can tell you how the PB-10 performs. I think there may be reviews on the SVS web site.

The only things I don't like about the PB-10NSD is that it does not have a crossover, or speaker level inputs. This is not a concern for most people.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts

Quote:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...r-10-2004.html

Ian

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:

Personal experience with the PB10, along with the general consensus of people who have heard both the VTF-1 and PB10-NSD (I admittedly am not such an individual) that the PB10 is significantly better in extension and HT impact are my main reasons for recommending it highly. I currently run two PB10's and can say they absolutely rock for both movies and gaming - and they're excellent for music too. Even one PB10 had plenty of impact for normal listening levels - I only have two because I like to listen around reference levels (read: very loud), and wanted the headroom. A single PB10 in my room gave me good extension to about 16hz, good tactile bass response for movies, and accurate bass reproduction for music. One thing that can't be stressed enough is placement and calibration - poor setup can make a really good sub sound bad. Conversely, great setup and calibration can make a so-so sub sound quite good. Make sure to spend the time to really get the most from your purchase. I'd talk to Ed Mullen from SVS about room dimensions and layout - he'll help you set up your sub so you can maximize its potential. Anyway, mailiang's link is to a good review of the PB10, so check it out if you haven't already. Good luck with your decision.

Stephen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts